Summer Beers?

Need help with a recipe? Have leftover ingredients and don't know what to do with them? Post in here! Any of your "tried & true" recipes can go in the recipe database forum.
TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Summer Beers?

Post by TimG » Thu May 21, 2015 1:19 pm

What is everybody gearing up for summer beer recipes? I'm not normally a big fan of 'light and easy drinking'.. so something on the medium scale would be nice. Sure I can make another APA or Pale Ale.. but I woudln't mind something different.

What have folks done with rhubbarb? I think I'd like the bitterness it would add.

Maybe a simple malt bill pale with X lbs of chopped and frozen rhubbarb?

Discuss

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Re: Summer Beers?

Post by jacinthebox » Thu May 21, 2015 1:54 pm

I have made Watermelon Wheat, double cherry wheat saison...raspberry cream ale...Honey Orange Wheat, White Night (Blue Moon style)....seems I like the idea of wheat in the heat.
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Thu May 21, 2015 1:55 pm

I brewed a nice light wheat, masned in at 151.5F. Split the batch between US05 and WB06 for variety. US05 took 2nd in Big Spruce.
I'm going to attempt a Raspberry version of this next time I make it.

10lbs 2 row
8lbs Wheat
1lbs Carapils
.62oz Galena @ 60 (14.8 IBU)
1.04oz Galena @ 10 (8.9 IBU)
1.00oz Galena @ Flame
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu May 21, 2015 2:05 pm

Personally, I'd like to do something sour with rhubarb (maybe a Berliner Weisse), but I'm afraid my brewing aspirations outpace my brewing know-how at the moment.

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Thu May 21, 2015 2:24 pm

I have a saison in secondary, another saison and an APA set to go soon (hopefully a double brew day sometime next week), and I am planning a sour-worted brett beer (coincidentally I was thinking I might add rhubarb to half of that one).
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu May 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Mild or Kolsh (if you have temp controll).

S

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Thu May 21, 2015 3:05 pm

brewing a pineapple pale ale this evening with Derek (aka Woody)

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Thu May 21, 2015 4:13 pm

Berliner weiss with rhubarb sounds pretty good, might give it a try if my regular berliner turns out ok. Low OG APAs and saisons are usually my summer beers. Just kegged a smash session pale ale, 4%, just pilsner and ton of centennial, very tasty, pretty similar to detour by Muskoka if you have ever tried that.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

TimG
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TimG » Fri May 22, 2015 12:35 pm

Hmm.. lots of wheat for you guys. I'm not a huge fan, like to stick to my light malt ales.

I guess I can just wing it with the rhubbarb.

Tim

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Fri May 22, 2015 1:47 pm

I plan to use Dave's cream ale recipe and adding 5 to 10 lbs of blueberries, haven't decided yet how far I want to go with the fruit
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Fri May 22, 2015 2:55 pm

mthibodeau wrote:I plan to use Dave's cream ale recipe and adding 5 to 10 lbs of blueberries, haven't decided yet how far I want to go with the fruit
I'd use 5lb of frozen berries in the secondary...I think blueberry could become too much fast...I'd also add an oz or 2 of vanilla...maybe a bit of lactose as well? that's what I do with my blackberry/raspberry cream ale
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 pm

I used 3 pounds of frozen raspberries in a 20L batch of a light ale and raspberry came through pretty strong. Haven't tried blueberries yet, but plan to this year.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Fri May 22, 2015 3:04 pm

jacinthebox wrote:
mthibodeau wrote:I plan to use Dave's cream ale recipe and adding 5 to 10 lbs of blueberries, haven't decided yet how far I want to go with the fruit
I'd use 5lb of frozen berries in the secondary...I think blueberry could become too much fast...I'd also add an oz or 2 of vanilla...maybe a bit of lactose as well? that's what I do with my blackberry/raspberry cream ale
I hadn't thought of the vanilla, I will definitely go that route, but I think I'll skip the lactose, me and lactose arent the best of friends at the moment.

Ive never made a proper fruit beer before, only used the extract previously, so when do you put the fruit in? Everything I've read says the secondary, and that makes sense, but my question is do you put it in the secondary for the entire time? Only the last few days? etc
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri May 22, 2015 7:31 pm

Berliner Weisse will be my "go-to" light beer for the summer. It's really nice to have a refreshing 2.8% beer on tap..

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri May 22, 2015 7:59 pm

mthibodeau wrote:
jacinthebox wrote:
I hadn't thought of the vanilla, I will definitely go that route, but I think I'll skip the lactose, me and lactose arent the best of friends at the moment.

Ive never made a proper fruit beer before, only used the extract previously, so when do you put the fruit in? Everything I've read says the secondary, and that makes sense, but my question is do you put it in the secondary for the entire time? Only the last few days? etc
you want the sugar to ferment out, so you are going to have to leave the fruit in the secondary a couple weeks probably. if you don't let it ferment out, you could get bottle bombs/overcarbonation. (unless you are pasteurizing it or something, but i don't know anyone who does that - those who want a sweet beer will backsweeten with something unfermentable)
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Steeveo
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Steeveo » Fri May 22, 2015 10:12 pm

mckay75 wrote:brewing a pineapple pale ale this evening with Derek (aka Woody)

I happened to drop in there..... Pale Ale my ass.. I could smell the hops clear from Truro.... there was some pineapple in the mix tho :spilly:

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Fri May 22, 2015 10:43 pm

Steeveo wrote:
mckay75 wrote:brewing a pineapple pale ale this evening with Derek (aka Woody)

I happened to drop in there..... Pale Ale my ass.. I could smell the hops clear from Truro.... there was some pineapple in the mix tho :spilly:
It's all Mark's fault. I get around him and we add more hops to everything. Ok so it might be my fault. lol Columbus, Mosiac and Amarillo with Pine apple. A match made in heaven. So it was probably a Pineapple IPA or IIPA. Damn love brewing. :moon: :D

hogie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Hogie

Post by hogie » Fri May 22, 2015 10:57 pm

TimG wrote:Hmm.. lots of wheat for you guys. I'm not a huge fan, like to stick to my light malt ales.

I guess I can just wing it with the rhubbarb.

Tim
How about a rhubarb saison? Chop and freeze the rhubarb. Brew and ferment the beer to completion. Add the rhubarb and give it 10 days. Give it a stir every couple days. Crash cool and keg. Have fun getting the rhubarb mush out of the carboy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - new and degraded

TimG
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TimG » Mon May 25, 2015 1:59 pm

Brewmaster Hogie chimming in! :)

I don't have time to make a starter, so I think I'm going to frig around with a light pale ale with 8% rye.. triple batch and probably rhubbarb one bucket (just going to primary and secondary in a bucket.. carboys boo!).

How much rhubbarb?

Tim

hogie
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Hogie

Post by hogie » Mon May 25, 2015 8:30 pm

3lbs/bucket

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - new and degraded

Mac_Brew
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeff

Post by Mac_Brew » Sat Jun 13, 2015 9:56 am

I brewed a nice light wheat, masned in at 151.5F. Split the batch between US05 and WB06 for variety. US05 took 2nd in Big Spruce.
I'm going to attempt a Raspberry version of this next time I make it.

10lbs 2 row
8lbs Wheat
1lbs Carapils
.62oz Galena @ 60 (14.8 IBU)
1.04oz Galena @ 10 (8.9 IBU)
1.00oz Galena @ Flame
Just wondering what size batch this was? Any other details on recipe you can share? Looking to put one on this week and will be doing a raspberry but have a 10g pot. Where did you source the Galena?

Thanks.

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Sat Jun 13, 2015 1:31 pm

Jeff it looks like a 10 gallon recipe. Load it into Beersmith pick your equipment and if the gravity is too high you can decrease it for a 5 gallon batch. Galena is a neutral bittering hop so you can sub it for Chinook or Columbus. Text me what you have in stock and I"ll let you know. If not I have Galena.

Mac_Brew
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeff

Post by Mac_Brew » Mon Jun 15, 2015 12:34 pm

Ok, thanks Woody.

whitnes10
Name: Stew Whitney

Post by whitnes10 » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:21 am

Hey so I'm looking at making a Pineapple IPA. I've seen a couple of different things while looking around at this.

1 - Some say to put the pineapple in the boil (at the end) - but then I just saw that this can potentially kill the yeast?

2 - Most have been saying to add the pineapple into the secondary after fermentation has stopped.

I have my tropical IPA recipe ready on BeerSmith, but I'm wondering what to do with the pineapple and if I need to adjust anything in the recipe for the sugars from the pineapple? Will I have to add less corn sugar for bottling/carbonation?

Thanks!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:35 pm

whitnes10 wrote:Hey so I'm looking at making a Pineapple IPA. I've seen a couple of different things while looking around at this.

1 - Some say to put the pineapple in the boil (at the end) - but then I just saw that this can potentially kill the yeast?

2 - Most have been saying to add the pineapple into the secondary after fermentation has stopped.

I have my tropical IPA recipe ready on BeerSmith, but I'm wondering what to do with the pineapple and if I need to adjust anything in the recipe for the sugars from the pineapple? Will I have to add less corn sugar for bottling/carbonation?

Thanks!
Pineapple juice in the secondary or keg. I've tried fresh pineapple in the boil, and juice in the keg. I prefer the juice method.. and it's easier.

Return to “Recipes”