Grain Table Pulley Question

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Post Reply
User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:15 pm

Hey Everyone,

So I'm making a grain mill table and I'm using an old furnace blower motor.

Here's my question. The shaft on my grain crusher is 3/8" and the smallest bore hole on the pulleys at Princess Auto is 1/2". Anyone else come across this problem, and if so, how did you fix it?

Thanks

Dave

User avatar
jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 4922
Joined: Tue Apr 26, 2011 4:18 pm
Name: Jeff Smith
Location: Amherst, NS
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by jeffsmith » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:27 pm

What kind of mill is it? I know that Crankandstein offers a 1/2" shaft upgrade. Perhaps the other manufacturers offer something similar?

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:36 pm

jeffsmith wrote:What kind of mill is it? I know that Crankandstein offers a 1/2" shaft upgrade. Perhaps the other manufacturers offer something similar?
It's the Noble Grape grain crusher. There's no option to upgrade this one.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by mr x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:48 pm

PA should sell bushings.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:54 pm

You might get a 3/8 pulley online. A few Googlings below. The last link is a timing belt. Maybe an auto-parts store would have something suitable.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CONGRE ... lley-3X894

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Die-Casti ... B00004RAO9

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40XL037-Aluminum ... 0957111699
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:58 pm

mr x wrote:PA should sell bushings.
They do, but how do you secure the bushing to the shaft so the pulley doesn't slip? The set screw in the pulley wouldn't be able to compress the bushings that much. There's a fair amount of torque needed for a mill.

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 3:59 pm

GuingesRock wrote:You might get a 3/8 pulley online. A few Googlings below. The last link is a timing belt. Maybe an auto-parts store would have something suitable.

http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/CONGRE ... lley-3X894

http://www.amazon.com/Chicago-Die-Casti ... B00004RAO9

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/40XL037-Aluminum ... 0957111699
I have already searched the interwebs. However the biggest 3/8 pulley I can find is 4". Ideally I need a 6" pulley to properly adjust the RPM of the motor I have.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:03 pm

can you drill through everything and use a split pin (cotter pin)? the pulley would need a flange to do that.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:18 pm

I think I'll have to get one of these:

http://www.princessauto.com/pal/Bronze/ ... /3872025.p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Secure it to the mill shaft somehow (can't soldier bronze to steel so I'll probably try to drill through and secure it somehow.

Then be able to secure the 1/2" bore pulley to it.

I'm wondering how hard it'll be to secure that bushing to the 3/8" shaft....

EDIT: Or, I can drill through the bushing where the set screw hole is, then the set screw from the pulley can set against the shaft through the bushing. That might work better.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:28 pm

Fishdisease wrote: Or, I can drill through the bushing where the set screw hole is, then the set screw from the pulley can set against the shaft through the bushing. That might work better.
:clap:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by mr x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:13 pm

There you go. :-)

Fwiw, this was one reason I always recommend getting 1/2 " drives on the mills.

Also, make sure to drill the shaft where the set screw will land. If you don't and it slips, you will be very angry...

Sent from Tapatalk 2, a prick of a company.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jul 03, 2013 5:25 pm

Belt guard? could get a bad injury working late at night, especially after a beer or two. Or a customer could lose a finger :(
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

maltster
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 253
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 8:23 pm

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by maltster » Wed Jul 03, 2013 6:20 pm

IMG390.jpg
I used a spider coupling from PA. You buy the 3 pieces separately so one side of the coupling is 3/8" and on mine the other side is 5/8". I used a short length of shaft and a bearing block. It would be better with 2 bearing blocks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by mr x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 8:16 pm

I used a spider as well, but don't get the cheapest one. My motor blew apart two of them.

Sent from Tapatalk 2, a prick of a company.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Posts: 866
Joined: Tue May 10, 2011 9:59 pm
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite
Location: Sackvegas

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by know1 » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:04 pm

mr x wrote:I used a spider as well, but don't get the cheapest one. My motor blew apart two of them.

Sent from Tapatalk 2, a prick of a company.
Holy hell, I know some PA stuff can be el-cheapo but what kind of horses are you running on your crusher drive?
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by mr x » Wed Jul 03, 2013 11:47 pm

Turned it down for some wheat berries, and that was that. That small spider sucks afaiac.

Sent from Tapatalk 2, a prick of a company.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 10:45 am

So my plan worked. Drilling the hole through the bushing was easy (so easy I applied too much pressure to the first one and it broke in half). Then I gently tapped in into the bore hole of the pulley then a gentle tap to get it on the mill shaft. Tightened the set screw and I'm good to go.

Had a couple people stop by last night and am dealing with car issues so I didn't get a chance to test it but I have a bunch of orders to fill and instead of the hand-crank one I might break this one in.

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by Tony L » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:41 pm

The idea Malster has seems to me to be the best... using bearing blocks. I wonder how much pressure is placed on the bearings of the mill when using a pulley system?

One of the things I thought about when I went and motorized my mill. I went for the direct drive low RPM gear motor using spider couplers.

Image

User avatar
GillettBreweryCnslt
Vendor
Vendor
Posts: 1935
Joined: Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:24 am
Name: David Gillett
Location: Hammonds Plains
Contact:

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by GillettBreweryCnslt » Thu Jul 04, 2013 4:43 pm

Tony L wrote:The idea Malster has seems to me to be the best... using bearing blocks. I wonder how much pressure is placed on the bearings of the mill when using a pulley system?
I've read many posts from ppl who have a pulley system and have had no issues over time. I'm sure there is wear, but is it significant? Only lots of time will tell apparently.

User avatar
Tony L
Award Winner 10
Award Winner 10
Posts: 1848
Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
Location: Heart's Delight, NL

Re: Grain Table Pulley Question

Post by Tony L » Thu Jul 04, 2013 5:09 pm

A lot of the guys here use a pulley and so far haven't had trouble, but like you say, time will tell.

Post Reply

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests