Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
creamofwheat
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Liam

Spigots, spade bits, and sizing

Post by creamofwheat » Sat Jul 23, 2016 11:59 am

Hey all,

I recently broke my spigot on my bottling bucket. It is one, I guess, for wine and curves in at the middle. Anyway, I started doing some research and figured i would replace it and while i am add it add some spigots to my other buckets. Anyways my main question is, is there a standard side of spigot and spade bit. My research (amazon etc) suggest that it is 1" spigots and thus a corresponding 1" spade bit.

I went and bought a spigot from a wine and beer store here in Moncton. After I got it home and compared it to my 1" spade it looks way way smaller like 7/8 (notably it is actually bigger than the original spigot in the bottling bucket). There was no sizing on the spigot when i bought it so i just kind of figured it was standard 1" size.

Also, I was thinking of getting some food safe pails from the local grocery stores and making a 1" inch plug in the top for buns and airlocks. Is this also the correct size?

Thanks for all the help.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Re: Spigots, spade bits, and sizing

Post by chalmers » Mon Jul 25, 2016 11:36 pm

creamofwheat wrote:Hey all,

I recently broke my spigot on my bottling bucket. It is one, I guess, for wine and curves in at the middle. Anyway, I started doing some research and figured i would replace it and while i am add it add some spigots to my other buckets. Anyways my main question is, is there a standard side of spigot and spade bit. My research (amazon etc) suggest that it is 1" spigots and thus a corresponding 1" spade bit.

I went and bought a spigot from a wine and beer store here in Moncton. After I got it home and compared it to my 1" spade it looks way way smaller like 7/8 (notably it is actually bigger than the original spigot in the bottling bucket). There was no sizing on the spigot when i bought it so i just kind of figured it was standard 1" size.

Also, I was thinking of getting some food safe pails from the local grocery stores and making a 1" inch plug in the top for buns and airlocks. Is this also the correct size?

Thanks for all the help.
Sorry to hear about your sizing issues. I'm not sure if there is a "universal" spigot size.

As for bungs and airlocks, there are lots of different sizes, as evidenced by: http://www.accurate-prod.com/rubber-stoppers-company/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But, you can definitely get a #5.5 locally (http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... stp-15.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), which is pre-drilled for a standard airlock.

Dave also carries other bung sizes for adding blowoff tubes and/or wider mouth carboys.

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/category-s/294.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!

creamofwheat
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Liam

Re: Spigots, spade bits, and sizing

Post by creamofwheat » Tue Jul 26, 2016 12:45 pm

Thanks for the resources!

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”