Another grain mill project

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Another grain mill project

Post by SFR709 » Wed Aug 03, 2016 6:16 pm

Pretty happy with how this turned out all and all... Cost $25 for the motor and $15 for the desk, both from kijiji, but a pretty cheap build, the sheaves at princess auto cost the most. Thanks to Everwood Dave for some pointers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Re: Another grain mill project

Post by mckay75 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 8:25 am

That is awesome! What sort of motor does one look for on kijiji? I feel the urge for a new project myself.

SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Post by SFR709 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 11:55 pm

Oil furnace blower motors seem to do the trick nicely. Essentially you want a 110 - 120V A/C motor, with 1/2 or more HP (mine was a 3/4hp just by luck) The RPM's will probably be around 1750, so you use a larger pulley on the mill and a small one on the motor to step the RPMs down to around 300 - 400. You can get away from the pulleys and belts if you can find a gear motor with the right power and RPM range. For a kijiji search if you searched electric motor or AC motor under the buy and sell category I'm sure something would turn up.

It's also important to make some sort of guard around the pulleys and belt as they can do some pretty awful things to fingers etc. Because I built mine into a desk I just bolted a piece of plywood to the open / back side so I could access anything if need be.

Let me know if you have any questions, also there are tons of really knowledgeable people on here that may add to any info I've provided.

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 11:21 am

Great information! Thanks! I believe I found my next project!

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”