Stovetop RIMS BIAB

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Stovetop RIMS BIAB

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Nov 24, 2016 8:06 pm

Could be used as a small RIMS BIAB stove top system.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Stovetop RIMS BIAB

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:25 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:Could be used as a small RIMS BIAB stove top system.

https://anovaculinary.com/anova-precision-cooker/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I grabbed one of the wifi units at CAD$149 a couple months ago and couldn't be happier (and I've only cooked eggs with it). I will be experimenting with small batches on the stove at some point I just haven't gotten there yet. I'm pretty sure there's at least one review of using it for brewing online.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Lucas
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Lucas

Post by Lucas » Sat Nov 26, 2016 8:52 pm

Very cool idea. I might be able to sell my partner on this for sous vide cooking... But inevitably she'll still find out that I really wanted it for brewing. :lol:

I was thinking I would buy a Grainfather after I moved here to Winnipeg this summer but it just isn't fitting into the budget. I'm going to go the 10-12L stovetop BIAB route for now and this little gadget would be a really nice addition to that setup. It seems like the major issue is keeping the grain out of the thing, but people are using grain bags or metal sieves and having success with one or the other. Being able to do precise step mashes is one of the main reasons I wanted the Grainfather in the first place!
Enjoying: Black Sheep (Dark Farmhouse with Brett)
Fermenting: NZ Pale Ale, Orval Clone, Berliner Weisse, Brett APA
Planning: Old Rasputin Clone

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Fri Dec 02, 2016 12:40 am

Lucas wrote:Very cool idea. I might be able to sell my partner on this for sous vide cooking... But inevitably she'll still find out that I really wanted it for brewing. :lol:

I was thinking I would buy a Grainfather after I moved here to Winnipeg this summer but it just isn't fitting into the budget. I'm going to go the 10-12L stovetop BIAB route for now and this little gadget would be a really nice addition to that setup. It seems like the major issue is keeping the grain out of the thing, but people are using grain bags or metal sieves and having success with one or the other. Being able to do precise step mashes is one of the main reasons I wanted the Grainfather in the first place!
Let me know how this works out. I do 25 litre batches but occasionally 10 litre stove top batches for experimentation.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Sun Dec 04, 2016 1:28 pm

So I picked up a hop strainer in one of the Black Friday sales with the hopes the Anova would fit into it. Turns out it's perfect, and thin enough that I can adjust both screws, so I could use it in a bigger pot as well. My only concern is whether I can get enough flow through the strainer, but there's only one way to find out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Mon Dec 05, 2016 12:42 pm

Awesome! Yeah let me know I have a strainer as well.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Thu Jan 05, 2017 12:41 pm

how did this work out?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am

bluenose wrote:how did this work out?
My plans to try this over the holidays did not pan out. I'm still hoping to give a small batch a go, but I don't know when it'll be.

LeafMan66_67
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Derek Stapleton

Post by LeafMan66_67 » Fri Jan 06, 2017 2:02 pm

I'm looking at it as a way to maintain mash temperature of a 5G BIAB batch ... appears there are enough people out there singing its praises. I'll post back once I get around to it.
"He was a wise man who invented beer." - Plato

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2

Stovetop RIMS BIAB

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed Jan 17, 2018 8:23 pm

mumblecrunch wrote:
Fri Jan 06, 2017 10:37 am
bluenose wrote:how did this work out?
My plans to try this over the holidays did not pan out. I'm still hoping to give a small batch a go, but I don't know when it'll be.
Haha. A year and a day after posting this, I finally got around to trying this on a 3 gallon batch. I used a 24" x 24" mesh bag i picked up from Everwood, which was maybe a touch big for my 5.5 gal SS Brewtech Kettle. I then used my hop strainer as in the pics earlier in the thread inside the mesh bag with the mash. I've got an induction stove and the pot is induction compatible, so I was able to ramp temperatures into range quite quickly (biggest burner is 2400W with a Power Boost mode that'll do 3800W for 10 or 15 minutes at a time). I mashed with about 4 gallons and dunk sparged into the remaining gallon in a smaller pot.

The circulator on the Anova didn't have any trouble moving liquid through the strainer in the middle of the mash. I did overheat going from my protein rest to sacch rest temps and had to use a little cold water and manual stirring to bring it back down, but I think that's just a matter of being a little more careful next time.

Although the beer is still conditioning, overall I believe the experiment was a success and I will definitely be doing more batches this way, but I will probably do more like 2 - 2.5 gallons in the future to be able to do full volume mashes as much as possible.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”