Brew Pump

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Brew Pump

Post by maglorski » Fri Jan 27, 2017 3:16 pm

Are the chugger pumps the only way to go or can anyone suggest a reasonable equivalent that will do the trick?

Thx.

Mike.
:cheers2:

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Re: Brew Pump

Post by Celiacbrew » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:02 pm

Depends on what you want to do with it. Chuggers are like a pickup truck. Super useful if you need it, but really expensive if all you only needed a bicycle.

If you are pumping short distances and not way above where the pump is then the cheap solar panel pumps are okay. Sometimes you will see people complain about their pump not having enough power but usually it is because they are using long runs of very flexible tubing that absorbs all of the pressure the pump is putting out. They likely would be better redesigning their system. That said I had a chugger pump that I used for whirlpooling to speed up my chilling. Worked awesome and to me it was worth every penny.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:35 pm

There are other options. Shop around. The bigger pump reduces frustration.

Sandy

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Fri Jan 27, 2017 6:49 pm

I got a center inlet Chugger from Dave before the holidays.
I wanted to start with using it to circulate for cooling.
It works great, very happy I got it, used a few batches so far.

Ruby
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ruby

Post by Ruby » Fri Jan 27, 2017 7:23 pm

I brew between 5 and 10 gallons. I use a pump now, and I love it. It takes a lot of the effort out of the fluid transfers, but requires a little forethought when you first integrate it into your system For example, you might have to change out some or all of your fittings to work with a camlock or butterfly valve system.

I started out about as pump free as I could and the only reason I decided to get a chugger pump was to get a feel for how a much bigger system might be to operate. Before that, my system was rustic AF. I filled my kettle with a hose, vorlaufed with a jug and a spoon, fly-sparged with a watering can and I still collect wort in buckets. I cooled and whirlpooled with a spoon to stir. I didn't experience any issues with hot side aeration when moving things by hand. Its an effort vs. technology thing, and your purse decides whether you run with a cheap or expensive pump. Whether you need one at all is up to you, and how much beer you're brewing at one time.
Give a man a beer, and he'll waste an hour. Teach a man to brew, and he'll waste a lifetime.

mikeorr
Award Winner 3
Award Winner 3
Name: Michael Orr

Post by mikeorr » Wed Jun 21, 2017 2:05 pm

It's probably overkill, but the new Blichmann RipTide pump http://www.blichmannengineering.com/pro ... ewing-pump looks pretty nice.

There's a good review/comparison against March and Chugger pumps here:

Foxannefak
Name: Foxannefak

Brew Pump

Post by Foxannefak » Sat Aug 04, 2018 2:36 am

How can you siphon past an electric pump, are you taking water from you holding tank?
как выбрать подарок на день рождения 11 лет мальчику хороший ли подарок

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”