The thought of a two tun approach for wort making//using a vacuum

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Yeastcoaster
Name: Scott Galbraith

The thought of a two tun approach for wort making//using a vacuum

Post by Yeastcoaster » Thu Jun 08, 2017 3:09 pm

So I have been looking at the process of making wort, up to the point where it goes into the Carboy. Almost everyone uses a Three stage system.

I was wondering how much luck people have had using just two tuns. I have done some thinking on it and wonder if the system used for racking wine could be brought over here. The wort doesn't really get too pissed off if you introduce it to oxygen, but would a lack of pressure hurt it?

My plan is to still do the three steps, but utilize a vacuum pump to do the work.

1. Heat the water, then use the vacuum pump to pull the water over to the mash tun to fill it. Opening the valves between the tuns,
2. Let the mash do its thing (make tasty beer hopefully)
3. Put the pump onto the starting tun and run the outside valves to bring the fluid from the mash tun to the boiler through a filter if needed.

The whole point of this is to use the lack of pressure to do the work gravity would normally do. Have a scavenger lead in each side to get all the fluid out, so I would still have minimal loss.
3steps.png
Am I going way to mad scientist on this?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!

MarkPower
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mark Power

Re: The thought of a two tun approach for wort making//using a vacuum

Post by MarkPower » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:40 am

It seems like you are thinking of a full volume, no sparge, mash. Why use the wine filter and vacuum pump though? I think you would be better off using a chugger pump to move between vessels.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Fri Jun 09, 2017 9:47 am

What Mark is describing is what I do, it's a pretty easy setup and I love it.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Yeastcoaster
Name: Scott Galbraith

Post by Yeastcoaster » Fri Jun 09, 2017 3:07 pm

Thanks for the help all. I am just sort of coming up with a plan for my station, I have a vacuum pump which is why I was so keen to use it.
These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”