Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
timcress10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Cress

Looking for some input

Post by timcress10 » Fri Jul 07, 2017 12:16 pm

Hi all!

Looking for a little advice, tips or general help on my oh-so slow all grain build. I was fortunate enough to come across some Sanke kegs and have slowly started planning out what to do with them. I may have jumped the gun a bit and cut the tops off of two of them before coming across some threads on the brewtalk site about using upside down keggles. I still have a third keg that I haven't had a chance to cut yet.

Where I'm looking for help is with that third keg; has anyone seen, read or built their own inverted keg into a mash lauter tun? My thinking is to use some NPT fittings on the Sanke top (now the bottom), and then a screen of some sort over the domed bottom.

Additionally, if folks wouldn't mind sharing what types of fittings they've used on their keggle builds, I would be great appreciative. Happy brewing!
Tim Cress

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Re: Looking for some input

Post by amartin » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 pm

My keggle mash tun is fairly standard, when I bought it it had three welded NPT fittings stacked vertically, and the bottom one had the fitting on the inside as well. I put a cap for now on the top one, a thermometer in the middle and a ball valve on the outside bottom and a dip tube inside. I have a custom BIAB for it, and gravity drain it out to the kettle. If I ever get a pump I may get a fitting for the top port for recirculation, but an upgraded fermentation chamber is a higher priority at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 8:52 am

amartin wrote:
Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:35 pm
My keggle mash tun is fairly standard, when I bought it it had three welded NPT fittings stacked vertically, and the bottom one had the fitting on the inside as well. I put a cap for now on the top one, a thermometer in the middle and a ball valve on the outside bottom and a dip tube inside. I have a custom BIAB for it, and gravity drain it out to the kettle. If I ever get a pump I may get a fitting for the top port for recirculation, but an upgraded fermentation chamber is a higher priority at the moment.

Where did you get your thermometer, ball valve and dip tube from? I'm compiling my list of fittings and random hardware I'll need so I can start budgeting out how much it's going to cost me. Thanks!
Tim Cress

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Jul 08, 2017 1:08 pm

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/category-s/127.htm

He's local and a supporter of this forum.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:53 pm

I got my stuff from Dave at everwood. He even cut the dip tube so that it fit to pull right from the bottom. He (and his staff) knows his stuff.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 08, 2017 4:46 pm

Thanks folks! I've been meaning to get down to the shop since they've opened; maybe this is the excuse I need :P
Tim Cress

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”