Tower cooling suggestions.

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by maglorski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:12 am

I suspect the camps might be split on this but I'll ask the question anyway. I'm going back and forth between using a passive cooling setup (beer line in copper tube, encased in rigid foam insulation) and active (fan forcing cold air up the tower). From what I was able to glean on the intertron is that a passive system doesn't allow for any airflow in the tower and doesn't really do anything, however, is that really important given the fact the copper is being used as a heat (cold?) sink by keeping the lines cool? In regards to the active system - do you let the fan continuously? That seems a little excessive for times when it won't be used for an extended period. I was thinking of getting a cheap and cheery timer such that it only runs when I need it to.

Thx & happy Friday.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Re: Tower cooling suggestions.

Post by Swine » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:03 pm

I have (or had) a fan cooling my tower. It did a great job, but my issue was that in the summer time it made my tower condensate excessively and water build up at the base caused the mounting bolts to rust (even though they said Stainless on the package, likely the cheaper stainless).
I turned my fan off before last summer and I didn't have any issues pouring all summer from those taps.

So, in my opinion, it may not be required to do anything, it is only about 18-24" of line that is up in the tower.

I had my fan wired to the AC of the fridge, so if fridge was plugged in, fan was on. I put quick connects inside on the DC side of things so I could either unplug it, or replace it if it failed.
I had a blower style fan on the hump and taped a hose to it (old drain hose from a dishwasher) and ran that up to near the top of the tower, so cool air got all the way up and then was forced down, making sure everything had cool air moving around it.
Perhaps a slower fan wouldn't move as much air, and maybe wouldn't cause the condensation? I forget the speed of my blower, but it was fast.

maglorski
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike

Post by maglorski » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:59 pm

Just ordered a fan, as to not get condensation on the tower I would look at insulating somehow. Thx for the info.

SFR709
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Post by SFR709 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:19 pm

I’ve gone the copper pipe and insulation route. I would say the fan probably does a better job of cooling, since I do have more head (most likely meaning the beer in the lines is warmer) on the first poor of a day. It’s probably something to the effect of double the amount I would get off all other pours, so not drastic. Usually I just pour my own first and by the time I’ve poured a few pints for guests mine is good to go. I mostly went this route because of the simplicity, no condensation, and no need for maintenance or replacement parts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Tue Mar 13, 2018 7:32 pm

I just use the copper pipes and insulation too. Left the pipe to hang down as far as practical into the fridge to keep cold. Lined the inside of my tower with construction paper, put everything in place and filled it with foam. Once the foam set I was able to slide the tower back off, trim it up and all good.

My fridge is in the garage now, but it used to be inside. I’ve never had any issues with condensation and I keep about a 5’ lines length.

Like others my first beer is usually a bit more foamy, but it’s usually only on the first pour of the day. I would say no need for a fan.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Steffen Rosswog

Post by RossBee » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:45 pm

I covered my keezer lines with stainless steel braid from the tail stock to the ball lock, no insulation. Dishwasher supply braided hose was long enough, just had to remove the inner tubing.
Why brew beer I can buy?

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”