BrewPiLess fermentation controller

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel N Latimer

BrewPiLess fermentation controller

Post by danlatimer » Fri Jan 04, 2019 3:32 pm

Has anyone build a BrewPiLess fermentation controller? I ordered the parts a ways back but only got the software working, didn't get the temp probes or relays working yet. I'm going to get back into it soon.

BrewPiLess Project Page:
https://github.com/vitotai/BrewPiLess

BrewPi interface

Someone else's BrewPiLess:

D.Pepper
Verified User
Verified User
Name: David Pepper

Re: BrewPiLess fermentation controller

Post by D.Pepper » Fri Jan 25, 2019 11:40 am

Hey Dan,
Although I haven't made a BrewPiLess, I have built a controller that uses the BrewPi firmware and the software is running on "fermentrack"- which is an updated version of where BrewPi left off before it went commercialized. I've added some tweaks to the software- like running a webcam server to watch the bubbles in my blowoff bowl, and the ability to dial into it from anywhere from my phone to see what's on the go. It's still a bit of a work in progress.

Here's mine
Capture.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:38 pm

Wow, that looks amazing! Where did you get your project box?

Thanks for letting me know that there was that fork of brewpi, the fermentrack. I'll definitely take a look into that!

D.Pepper
Verified User
Verified User
Name: David Pepper

Post by D.Pepper » Fri Jan 25, 2019 5:55 pm

Thanks!

I designed the box in Autodesk Fusion 360, and printed it off on a 3D printer. The cover is a sheet of 1/4" thick lexan cut off in a bandsaw- I was meaning to attach it with a setup of strong magnets, but it quickly got set up in my fermentation chamber instead, and is held there by the negative pressure of the computer power supply fans behind. Hopefully I'll modify it soon.

I prefer the idea of the fermentrack, because I've found if the Raspberry Pi ever freezes or locks up for any reason, the Arduino still operates automatically with the last known commands, instead of idling about. It's definitely something to consider!

danlatimer
Verified User
Verified User

Post by danlatimer » Fri Jan 25, 2019 6:00 pm

Nice, yeah that's a pretty nice looking setup. I'll probably just pick up a project box online.

Thanks I'll definitely think about that once I get mine working although the ESP8266 (the computer on a chip) that the brewpiless uses is fairly similar to the arduino. It is actually programmed using the same development kit but has built in wifi so I'll have to use it a bit to see if it's reliable.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”