Growing Barley

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
JayColli
Name: Jay Colli

Growing Barley

Post by JayColli » Sat Feb 06, 2021 7:17 pm

Anyone doing this? Have been keen to try making beer 100% from home grown ingredients.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User
Name: James Marshall

Re: Growing Barley

Post by JamesM80 » Sat Feb 06, 2021 10:55 pm

I did a little experiment and did a small pallet sized patch this summer. Minimal work and easy to grow. Filled an ice cream container with the tops and it was a lot of work for what I think might be a half pound at best. I currently have about a half solo Cup filled with 2 row. Needless to say a ton of work (especially if you don't harvest correctly like me). I'm probably going to just save the seeds and plant again next year for a more reasonable sized harvest, but I think even with what I have to plant it might not be enough, and many many hours of work. Also, I will probably be too lazy to harvest.

I did this all before I ever bought grain and saw how cheap it is.

Probably didn't help much, but that's my experience.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Hey! Here's a selfish classified ad at the bottom of my name...
Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Sun Feb 07, 2021 11:11 am

How are you threshing and winnowing? Those seem to be the most labour-intensive bits but I saw a DIY rig on YouTube that makes quick work or the threshing.

I’ve got an 8’x8’ bed that I’d like to plant. Hoping to get 5lbs outta that area growing ‘Robust’ 6-row.

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 12:22 pm

I cut it improperly and was stuck with basically individually picking them. Any setup whatsoever would be an improvement. Some pretty elaborate DIY ideas out there, I'd probably just go with the bucket and long drill bit with chains attached, kind of like a wine degasser.

Party Time Brewing - Check it out. It's Beer! Sometimes available at Battery Park and soon at Real Fake Meats on Gottingen St. PM me if you want to buy some beer or just stop by and check out the brewery.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Sun Feb 07, 2021 1:49 pm

That’s the plan! Winnowing with a fan on the deck during a calm day since it’s usually pretty gusty here. Where did you find your seed and what variety?

JamesM80
Verified User
Verified User

Post by JamesM80 » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:27 pm

Another example of my skills... Bought a pack in 2017 and planted in 2020. Was called full pint malting barley, 2 row. Only one pack and cost 4 Bux. Got it from here:
https://www.saltspringseeds.com/product ... ing-barley

The seeds worked great, but there were only 50 in a pack I think. There are probably many better deals out there.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm

Try horton Ridge. They may hook you up.

Sandy

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:41 pm

GAM wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:42 pm
Try horton Ridge. They may hook you up.

Sandy
That’s a good idea, I drive past them 5 days a week. Hope they’ve got some 6-row.

JayColli

Post by JayColli » Sun Feb 07, 2021 7:50 pm

JamesM80 wrote:
Sun Feb 07, 2021 3:27 pm
Another example of my skills... Bought a pack in 2017 and planted in 2020. Was called full pint malting barley, 2 row. Only one pack and cost 4 Bux. Got it from here:
https://www.saltspringseeds.com/product ... ing-barley

The seeds worked great, but there were only 50 in a pack I think. There are probably many better deals out there.

From what I hear a good seeding rate for malting barley is around 300 per square meter and I have close to 6m2 so I’m hoping to be able to buy by weight rather than per pkg.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”