Keezer nano

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
pvanberk
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Keezer nano

Post by pvanberk » Tue Oct 22, 2013 10:10 am

I have a small house and a growing family so my keg setup needed to be small. I added a 9" collar made of 3/4" plywood to a 2 year old 3.6 cubic foot Danby freezer (kijiji $45). It's a tight fit but it holds 3 pepsi kegs with the CO2 tank on the outside.

I didn't glue the collar to the freezer like is convention, instead I taped it with heavy duty 3" plastic tape. This is agricultural tape used to fix tares to silage tarps so it is very strong. I thought I may want to upgrade to a bigger keezer someday and in which case I wanted to be able to sell the freezer.

I also left one of the gas lines long enough to easily reach a kegs outside of the keezer. This way I don't have to unhook anything when I want to force carbonate.

I will probably add a fan at some point and also still need to fashion a drip tray.

I welcome your critiques of this design.

I still have one coke keg that I would like to trade for a pepsi keg or sell.

And please ignore the Keith's light boxes- my father-in-law provided my bottles.

Thanks to Dave from Everwood Ave Brewshop for most of the hardware and all of the good build advice.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Re: Keezer nano

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:06 am

Looks great!
Small, compact and 3 kegs!
:rockin:
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:29 am

Looks good!

I have the same type of keezer, but I fit 2 kegs and a CO2 tank. Could probably fit 3 if I were to leave the CO2 tank outside.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:30 am

nice set ups boys
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Oct 22, 2013 1:59 pm

Looks good. I like the framed chalkboard. Also 3 kegs in that small freezer, great use of space.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

TimG
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Gallant

Post by TimG » Tue Oct 22, 2013 2:24 pm

Sure.. sure.. you have a keezer setup 'after' I was there in the summer! :) See you at Christmas (flying out of Halifax on Dec 30th).

Nice job, I've just been working (slowly) on mine, will post pics as well to compare. I think it looks great, nice compact 3 keg unit!

jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Whyte

Post by jtmwhyte » Tue Aug 12, 2014 8:17 pm

I'd love to replace my full sized fridge with 4 taps with one like this, but I switched to pin locks last year. I'll just have to be happy that the wife has granted me a Brewing Lab in the new house plans
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

maestro
Name: Nick

Post by maestro » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:54 am

That's one nice Kezzer you have there! I may just think of the same idea or similar! But I have to ask, how do you control the internal freezer temp so as not to freeze your beer? Also, what do you think you paid in total for all that gear (minus the frezzer and wood).

Looks amazing!

jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Name: Justin

Post by jacinthebox » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:19 am

I use a DIY Temp control and a premade one....both from Everwood (DIY will need some parts from the harware store)
Brathair Brewing

Brew Hard...Stay Humble

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:04 pm

https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... h-outlets/
+
https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... le-faucet/
+
CO2 tank of choice, around $80 new, cheaper used. The Noble grape CO2 exchange is also convenient if you live close to one of their stores.

and you are pretty much set if you have the freezer and some wood. 1-2 more kegs are nice to have as well, so you can have some ready on standby.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:06 pm

That pre-fab temperature controller is a steal at that price, I think.

pvanberk
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pvanberk » Sat Sep 06, 2014 8:29 am

maestro wrote:That's one nice Kezzer you have there! I may just think of the same idea or similar! But I have to ask, how do you control the internal freezer temp so as not to freeze your beer? Also, what do you think you paid in total for all that gear (minus the frezzer and wood).

Looks amazing!

I bought the kegs, regulator and tank from kijiji. Probably paid $45/keg on average. The other things I paid about half of the original NG price, although that's a little hard to say because usually I bought everything the guy was selling and ended up with extra carboys, buckets, spoons, etc.

The taps and lines and gas distributor (manifold) all came from Dave at EverwoodAve. This is by far the cheapest place to buy them new and Dave also assembled it and checked it for leaks. If you wanted to save a bit of money, the most obvious change would be to skip the manifold and use this instead: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... -3-8-barb/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I don't have Perlicks (Dave didn't carry them then) but I've had no problems with the cheaper ones (yet).

I built my own temperature controler with the STC 1000 but that was before Dave carried this: https://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/pro ... h-outlets/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; which is likely cheaper than buying the parts to build your own like I did.

Good luck, troll kijiji daily and you'll likely be kegging in <3 months!

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”