Removing a regulator gauge

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Removing a regulator gauge

Post by LiverDance » Wed Jan 15, 2014 9:21 pm

I got a secondary reg and I'm i'm trying to get it ready to add to the primary but it's near impossible to remove the gauges. I'm guessing that lock tight was used when these things were put together. Does anyone have any suggestions on helping to loosen these things up?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

blacktip
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Scott

Re: Removing a regulator gauge

Post by blacktip » Wed Jan 15, 2014 11:32 pm

If you see any traces of red on the threads, you're going to need to carefully use a torch. I had to pull some apart that I got from BeerTech, and they were put together with red.
Automata Brew Works - https://twitter.com/automata_bw

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 16, 2014 9:46 am

That hydraulic thread compound is a bitch on a regulator. You can use a lot of force, but the problem is holding the regulator while you do it. Heat might help, but take the regulator apart first.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk 4
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:35 am

mr x wrote:That hydraulic thread compound is a bitch on a regulator. You can use a lot of force, but the problem is holding the regulator while you do it. Heat might help, but take the regulator apart first.

You sir are correct! Holding that thing is awkward at best. If I take it apart what should I expect? Anything going to come flying out at me?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 16, 2014 11:52 am

Shouldn't be too intense in there. A spring and plate and a diaphragm.

At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:05 pm

LiverDance wrote:
You sir are correct! Holding that thing is awkward at best. If I take it apart what should I expect? Anything going to come flying out at me?
Nope. Just make sure you put it back together the same .

Sandy

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:10 pm

Ideally, a vise with soft jaws would be great to use after disassembly.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by LiverDance » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:22 pm

mr x wrote:Ideally, a vise with soft jaws would be great to use after disassembly.

got a vise but no soft jaws on that thing, if i just put some gasket material down over them will that work, should eh?

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Thu Jan 16, 2014 12:24 pm

Yeah, or wood, thick pad of paper, towel, etc....

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”