Upgrade to Stanley

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Upgrade to Stanley

Post by Keith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 9:58 am

So I'm going to be making some room in Stanley for 2 more taps provided I can fit 5 kegs inside (4 confirmed).

My plan is to run the CO2 outside of the fridge and install 2 more taps through the door. I have no means to verify where the cooling lines run. Does anyone know of a way to locate them so I don't accidentally kill Stanley and fill my basement with Freon?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Re: Upgrade to Stanley

Post by Keggermeister » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:29 am

A few pictures may help with this. Are you only drilling through the door? Most fridges have a drain line in the bottom that you may be able to use to run the gas in.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:52 am

You can cut away the plastic liner near where you want to run the lines and look for the lines before you drill.

The hole for the co2 is not that big.

Sandy

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:04 pm

Keggermeister wrote:A few pictures may help with this. Are you only drilling through the door? Most fridges have a drain line in the bottom that you may be able to use to run the gas in.
man I never thought of that... good point!
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:06 pm

The door shelving also comes off fairly easy in many cases. The seal is usually held in with screws and is hiding other screws... I removed the door shelving altogether when I built Keggy McKeggerson
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 12:52 pm

Keggermeister wrote:A few pictures may help with this. Are you only drilling through the door? Most fridges have a drain line in the bottom that you may be able to use to run the gas in.
The door doesn't have any lines which isn't a concern for additional taps. I'll be running the CO2 out the side of the fridge towards the back, I know refrigerant line runs in that area. I'll get some pics posted, getting a replacement phone, will have it back online tomorrow.
GAM wrote:You can cut away the plastic liner near where you want to run the lines and look for the lines before you drill. The hole for the co2 is not that big.
Hoping to get have it one and one for drilling. Keep things neat and tidy inside and out.
bluenose wrote:The door shelving also comes off fairly easy in many cases. The seal is usually held in with screws and is hiding other screws... I removed the door shelving altogether when I built Keggy McKeggerson
Yea I'm leaving the door shelving in place if possible. It's nice to be able to keep a few bottles of something different on the door. However that being said, if it comes down to a 5th keg or bottles on the door. I'll be tearing it out :) :cheers2:

Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Keggermeister » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:01 pm

A note on the way I have done it in the past... I have done a few fridges with unknown lines by using a 1/8'' drill bit and a stop collar to just barely drill through the skin. Then I probed around through the insulation to look for pipes. Worked for me, YMMV.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:06 pm

Not sure if it would work for a larger fridge with possibly thicker insulation, but the link below mentions using a mix of cornstarch and rubbing alcohol as a paste, spread it on, and where it dries clear, there is a line. I didn't bother doing this as I used the same fridge as the link, so I knew no lines.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11441661 ... banner=pwa" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Good luck!

jtmwhyte
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Trevor Whyte

Post by jtmwhyte » Tue Feb 04, 2014 1:46 pm

Keggermeister wrote:A note on the way I have done it in the past... I have done a few fridges with unknown lines by using a 1/8'' drill bit and a stop collar to just barely drill through the skin. Then I probed around through the insulation to look for pipes. Worked for me, YMMV.
this is how I did mine though without the collars and VERY carefully

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue Feb 04, 2014 11:24 pm

So I need to tear the plastic shelving off the door, run the air out the side of the fridge, install 2 more taps and a T valve for the air. Then build a custom shelf that extends to the door opening.

Space doesn't look to be an issue if I do this, am going to give the kegs a dry fit this weekend. I may be able to fit a 6th keg in if I set them in just right. time will tell.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Mon Feb 10, 2014 7:02 pm

So as an update I'm putting the tap additions on hold until the new Perlick 630's are released in a month or two. I'll be getting the mods I need completed done before then however. :cheers2:

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:06 pm

What changed from the 525 to the 630?
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 13, 2014 2:12 pm

Jayme wrote:What changed from the 525 to the 630?
This is what OBK has to say about them:
Over the next few weeks we are phasing out the Perlick 525's. We will be carrying the new model 630'ss which is basically just a new model year. The 630'SS are 304SS as compared to 200 series. This will reduce problems with wine and acidic beverages. This faucet has some changes over the 525SS.

Slight change in spout angle, different Bearing cup, different handle lever, different O-ring and placement in the bonnet area, different style spout O-ring.

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:48 pm

Cool. So nothing serious, other than if I want all the same taps on my upcoming keezer I either have to buy right now, sell the 2 of the 525SS I already own and buy new later, or just live with it. Haha damn it I hate trivial decisions.
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Thu Feb 13, 2014 7:51 pm

I'm in the same boat, except I need to buy 5 taps. So 525's now or 630's in a month. I'm going with the 630's unless I find a great deal on the 525's.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”