The brewery is coming together

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Chockpish
Name: Chockpish

Re: The brewery is coming together

Post by Chockpish » Thu Jul 16, 2015 9:34 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Hey chockpish, where did you get the twist lock plug receptacle that you have in your panel there?
I believe I got it from auberins.com. I know liteco carries some of these as well, so you may want to check them out.

Chockpish

Post by Chockpish » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:53 pm

First Power ON test carried out today on the controller; all good! Next up is the building of the MLT & Brew Kettle. I need to silver solder the spud for the element, which will reside in the BK. I got the Harris Stay Brite from brew hardware in the States.

Hoping to start brewing sometime soon, gettin' thirsty!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Chockpish on Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Post by jeffsmith » Mon Aug 10, 2015 3:57 pm

Control panel looks nice and neat. Well done!

Chockpish

Post by Chockpish » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 pm

Ok, so finally I got to brew on my new setup 2 days ago! I have tested a 19 gallon red ale (extract with some crystal malt steeping for 30 minutes). I used only the brew kettle, as there was no mashing involved so no need for the mash tun. The good side;

- controller works flawlessly, so does the chugger pump.
- oxygenation with new setup went well, though the bubbling action seemed a bit big from the .5 micron stone ( 1 litre/minute flow, with one minute duration). I will try another spare stone next time just in case mine was the bigger 2 micron for aeration in case it was mislabeled from purchase.
- I got high krausen after approx 24 hrs, quite vigorous at 20 deg Celsius.

The challenges;

- jammed plate chiller from the pellet hop debris. I was down to a trickle flow, and the cooling from boil to 25 deg Celsius took about 2 hours. I had previously installed a copper scrub wool at the bk outlet, but it clogged up and the pump was cavitating and had to yank it out - real fun with a 21 gallons boiling wort above it! I have a hop blocker from blichmann that I ll use next time.
- I got condensation from my hood dripping back into my bk during the boil. It s a fancy 30 inch stainless design hood pushing through 50 feet of 5 inch flex duct to the outside, and it's not sufficient. Getting an inline fan with 1702 cfm this weekend so I'll bypass the existing one. I figure if those are good enough for the grass growers then it should be fine for my honourable purposes!!

This was my first full worth boil ever, and it's a beer I have brewed a few times in the past. Looking fwd to taste whatever difference there might be!

Cheers!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Sep 27, 2015 8:51 pm

Awesome report! Sounds like the issues are fixable without too much trouble. Cheers!

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”