BIABag vs BIABasket

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
TallDan
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel Cormier

BIABag vs BIABasket

Post by TallDan » Thu Nov 02, 2017 12:28 pm

I'm getting myself setup to do electric BIAB and I am debating between adding a false bottom to keep my grains off the element or to go with basket that holds my mesh bag off the element.

My first concern is with recirculation. I plan on having a reciculation pump during my mash. I have read of people pumping too much wort out the bottom and causing the heating element to burn up since it is no longer surrounded by wort.
I'm thinking having a basket could allow wort to drain on the sides (between basket and kettle) and avoiding this issues. But maybe this would cause to much wort to go on the sides an not rinse the grains like it is supposed to.

The second issues is mash temperature. Would you rather have grains touching the inside of the kettle which could remove some heat from the grain since the outside of the kettle is exposed to colder temperature (room temp) or have a thin layer of liquid wort between the kettle and the grains. I'm thinking this might act as some sort of insulation for the grains (if that makes sense?)

Although my second issues doesn't concern me as much because I think the differences would be minor but I thought I might add it to get your feedback.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

Yeastcoaster
Name: Scott Galbraith

Re: BIABag vs BIABasket

Post by Yeastcoaster » Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:19 pm

I have been brewing in a bag for about 3 years now. My set up is a 16Gal kettle with a false bottom over a 4500W ripple element. I am on my second nylon bag just due to wear and tear from doing double batches. The idea of a basket has always interested me, but the bag is way too easy to work with.

As far as grain touching the outside of the kettle and getting cooled, this is only a percentage of the total grist amount.
I was originally using an old sleeping bag turned inside out to keep my mash warm. I made an insulating jacket around my kettle using the floor puzzle mats you get at Canadian Tire and gorilla tape (I lined the inside with aluminium ducting tape). This resulted in about a 1% increase to my brewhouse efficiency but the look cool factor is much higher.

I used to do a still mash, where I did not circulate any wort over the grain. Then I bought a wort pump and started to circulate the wort below the surface level of the mash, my goal was to push the wort over my temp sensor and make sure the mash stayed at the desired temp. This didn't really change my efficiency.

Last I ditched the whirlpool idea, and went with a tube that poured the wort back over the grain bed. Using a ball valve to control flow, I kept it at a trickle. I have had one instance where I vacuumed the bottom of my kettle dry (the element was off), but that was my first run. This has been the biggest helper in increasing my efficiency (about 5%), and my numbers have been within .02 of expected since.

TL;DR: Not sure if I am answering you question. But for 1 vessel brewing, the bag is easy. and makes great beer. The mesh system I have seen a friend using, works ok, but he complains of the mesh being plugged a lot.
These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!

Yeastcoaster
Name: Scott Galbraith

Re: BIABag vs BIABasket

Post by Yeastcoaster » Fri Jul 31, 2020 8:43 pm

I need to check timestamps before commenting...
These pretzels are making me THIRSTY!

Return to “BIAB Discussion”