BIAB Fabric

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: BIAB Fabric

Post by Jimmy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:16 pm

There were a ton of different "voile" materials at fabricville when I went, some were finer than others. I'm not sure what would be the best, however I went with one of the finer ones, 100% polyester, mostly because it was cheaper. It worked well for me, and I just mashed in my 2nd batch using this bag!

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:26 pm

Awesome. I was going to get a bag from you for this pot but I put it off too long and plan on brewing a batch tonight and again tomorrow. My nylon bag isn't quite wide enough to fill the pot ideally and I figure I'll get a bit better efficiency with a new bag. I might just get the material and stuff it in the pot as a square for now.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Feb 04, 2012 1:27 pm

Rasp wrote:Awesome. I was going to get a bag from you for this pot but I put it off too long and plan on brewing a batch tonight and again tomorrow. My nylon bag isn't quite wide enough to fill the pot ideally and I figure I'll get a bit better efficiency with a new bag. I might just get the material and stuff it in the pot as a square for now.
Good luck! It sure makes for a stress free, easy on the back brew-day! :cheers2:

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:34 pm

After some thought, I'm going to give this a try for the sake of cutting down on process time. I'm typically in for about 6 hours from setup to clean up for a brew day. If I can shave off an hour or two with minimal or manageable compromise, I'm game!

Just wondering what your typical process is? I would presume full volume strike water, insulate & 60? min mash, raise and drain the bag-o-grain, remove insulation and boil (with hop spider), cool, transfer/aerate, pitch. Am I missing anything?
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Feb 07, 2012 10:46 pm

know1 wrote:After some thought, I'm going to give this a try for the sake of cutting down on process time. I'm typically in for about 6 hours from setup to clean up for a brew day. If I can shave off an hour or two with minimal or manageable compromise, I'm game!

Just wondering what your typical process is? I would presume full volume strike water, insulate & 60? min mash, raise and drain the bag-o-grain, remove insulation and boil (with hop spider), cool, transfer/aerate, pitch. Am I missing anything?
You're pretty well right on.

-I add the full volume of water, which is less than a typical brew because the grains hold less water (plus no loss in/between vessels). Beersmith has a BIAB option.
-Heat strike water (usually about 4*f hotter than desired mash temp)
-Mash for 60min
-Raise temperature to ~168f, then pull bag & grains out
-Hang bag over 5g bucket to drain & start boil
-Add the remaining wort from 5g bucket
-Continue as normal

The hop spider isn't really necessary but I've been using my keggle that I normally use as my mash tun, and it has a false bottom. I'm only using the hop spider because I'm guessing the false bottom is pretty much useless with pellet hops. I could use my boil kettle and whirlpool like I normally do, but by using the hop spider I eliminated having to use my pump :pow:

Using this method I can do a 5g brew in 3.5hrs, and that includes clean up time. More time for :drunk:

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:31 am

Jimmy, I'm still having a hell of a time. I went to 2 Fabricville's, both of which only had 1 voile (cotton).

How fine are the holes in yours, does it look like mesh? The last voile I saw looked like a sheet of fabric...
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 16, 2012 1:38 pm

Rasp wrote:Jimmy, I'm still having a hell of a time. I went to 2 Fabricville's, both of which only had 1 voile (cotton).

How fine are the holes in yours, does it look like mesh? The last voile I saw looked like a sheet of fabric...
It's not really a mesh looking material, but you can see through it. It's just regular old curtain sheer material.

Return to “BIAB Discussion”