How long and at what temp for this recipe?

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
Cheesehead
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Greg

How long and at what temp for this recipe?

Post by Cheesehead » Thu Jan 17, 2013 10:02 pm

I'm planning on making my 3rd batch this weekend and would like to check with someone more experienced as to how long I let this mash and at what temp (recipe taken from Berley's site: http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca/2012/0 ... aison.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;)?
- Brewed August 6th, 2012, by myself. 50-minute saccharification rest with 16 L of water (I think I accidentally added ~2 L too much here), for a mash temp of 152 F, a little above my target of 151 F. Mashed-out with 9.65 L water at ~203 F, resulting temp 167 F. Let rest for another 10 minutes, then vorlaufed 3-4 L and drained into kettle. Sparged with 16 L of 168 F water, stirred well, and left for 5 minutes before vorlaufing and draining into kettle again, for a total volume of 7.5 gallons.
So in BIAB terms, I'm assuming an hour at ~152F should do the trick?

My gravity was way off on my 2nd batch but pretty much on target for my 1st. I'll be using one of Jimmy's bags for the first time so I'm expected that should help (grains were pretty cramped in the smaller Noble Grape bag).
Tap #1: Vic Park Clone
Tap #2: BBB Substance Clone
Fermenting:

Return to “BIAB Discussion”