Pot for BIAB

Discuss all things BIAB (Brew In A Bag)
HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User

Pot for BIAB

Post by HoweFox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:36 am

I have done a few festa brews, and a couple of (almost) full boil extract brews using a turkey fryer. Seems like BIAB is small step up from what I am doing now.

My current pot is only 30qt so seems small for all grain. I am considering a 15 gallon pot from OBK: https://www.ontariobeerkegs.com/Product ... LLON-2WELD" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Comes to $158.96 with ball valve, bazooka screen, and 2" temperature gauge (not sure if 6" is better or worse). Good size? Good price? Anyone else have one of these? Anyone have a 15G pot they want to get rid of?

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: Pot for BIAB

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:39 am

That's what I use. It's great for a 5 gallon batch using BIAB but you'd want bigger if you were to do a 10g BIAB (unless you use the cooler method).

It's a great pot for the price, nice and light..I got rid of my 3 keggles once I purchased that pot.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 11:41 am

I can even gear you up with a bag to fit that pot :lol:

HoweFox
Verified User
Verified User

Post by HoweFox » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:23 pm

Thanks for the info Jimmy. I do plan on getting a bag from you once I get the pot. Did you get the 2" or 6" temp probe? Also did you get a bazooka screen or do you use something else inside?

I'm not interested in 10 gallon batches. Will be doing 5 or 6 gallon batches (no kegs yet so might as well do 6G batches).

Since you have the same pot, I might ask you about strike water temps and efficiency stuff later on.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Jan 21, 2013 2:46 pm

I'm using a side pickup diptube (it's just a standard diptube turned sideways), and a 2.5" thermometer I already had from a brewhardware group buy.

This is how the pickup is situated, and it also shows how far the probe sticks into the pot.
IMG_0690[1].JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:23 am

I'm looking pretty hard at this pot as well. Would having a longer probe on the thermometer cause issues with the bag? I guess I'd mostly be concerned with tearing it. A 2" probe seems like it might be a bit short if yours is 2.5", and 6" would be quite a bit longer. Where did you find your dip tube?

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Wed Mar 13, 2013 10:35 am

I'm running a 6" probe and no issues with the pot/bag. Bug then again I switched off from BIAB in the pot to BIAB+cooler method.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

adams81
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Geoff

Post by adams81 » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:16 am

sleepyjamie wrote:I'm running a 6" probe and no issues with the pot/bag. Bug then again I switched off from BIAB in the pot to BIAB+cooler method.
Good point, that sounds a lot easier.

Sent from my GT-I9000

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Mar 13, 2013 11:21 am

adams81 wrote:I'm looking pretty hard at this pot as well. Would having a longer probe on the thermometer cause issues with the bag? I guess I'd mostly be concerned with tearing it. A 2" probe seems like it might be a bit short if yours is 2.5", and 6" would be quite a bit longer. Where did you find your dip tube?

I think a 2" probe would be sufficient. I only use the dial thermometer as a rough gauge and still use an digital probe thermometer for accurate measurements. Personally, I'd avoid the 6" probe, though it might be ok.

Return to “BIAB Discussion”