BIAB - Custom Bags: For Coolers/Kegs/Pots/Etc.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Re: BIAB - Custom Bags

Post by Jimmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:31 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:whats your guys' process for brewing in a bag?
Mine is as follows:

Add full volume of water being used, beersmith has a BIAB option for this. The one I'm doing today calls for 31.5L of water for a 10.5lb grain bill.

Bring water up to ~156 to reach a mash temp of 152*

Add bag & grains, and mash as usuall.

After 60 min mash, raise temperature to 168*, then pull bag out (you probably only want to do this if you have a false bottom). It's hit or miss on the internet as to burning the bag. I guess if you don't have a false bottom and have some way of keeping the bag directly off the bottom, it would work

Hang bag with grains over a 5g bucket to collect the extra runoff while boil is starting, then add to boil

Continue as normal

pet lion
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter

Post by pet lion » Sun Feb 26, 2012 2:55 pm

I thinking I'll request one of these for my small small set up. One that would fit my 14 L insulated beverage cooler. I imagine it will be way better than trying to use those mesh bags NG supplies as I did last night.
https://www.facebook.com/tidehousebrewingcompany" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:17 pm

pet lion wrote:I thinking I'll request one of these for my small small set up. One that would fit my 14 L insulated beverage cooler. I imagine it will be way better than trying to use those mesh bags NG supplies as I did last night.

Sure, just give me a pm with the following dimensions of your cooler:

1) Height - from inside bottom of cooler to the highest edge
2) Outside edge circumference
3) Outside edge diameter

Also let me know if you want handles or not.

:cheers2:
Jimmy

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Feb 26, 2012 4:18 pm

Just a heads up guys, these bags can be used as hop bags for the boil kettle as well. You can have one made that will fit around the whole keg, drop your hops in during the boil, then just pull it out when you're done.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Sun Feb 26, 2012 11:43 pm

Jimmy wrote:
sleepyjamie wrote:whats your guys' process for brewing in a bag?
Mine is as follows:

Add full volume of water being used, beersmith has a BIAB option for this. The one I'm doing today calls for 31.5L of water for a 10.5lb grain bill.

Continue as normal
My longstanding (i.e., I invented it at about 10am today!) procedure calls for using only about 2/3 of the total volume of water in the mash. My kettle is somewhere around 55l when full to the brim, and for 40l finished product I need at least that much water.

So then I haul the bag out of the kettle with a ratcheting pulley, and let it drain straight back into the kettle. When I have my system properly redesigned, I'll just raise the bag a few inches to get it off the bottom, and then put the burner on to get it up to 168F, then raise it high enough to drain and top up with the remaining cold water, bring to boil...
Currently on tap: Nothing!
In keg: Still nothing.
In Primary: Doggone American Rye Pale Ale

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:50 am

So i did two bbiab brews. my first went pretty bad as my levels were all messed. My second which I brewed yesterday yielded approximately 79% efficiency. I was able to brew a 5.5 gallon batch in about 3.5 hours start to finish. Minus the clean up time in the end.

A few things I noticed when i was doing the BIAB.

Pros:

1) One thing I love about this BIAB is how little cleanup effort was required compared to my 70qt coleman extreme cooler. I simply lifted the bag, dumped the spent grains in the green bin. Unlike the bags from noble grape, the material from Jimmy's bag (yeah that sounds a little gross if you dont know the context) makes cleaning the spent grain an ease.
2) Was really easy to take gravity reading. I took numerous gravity measurements during the entire mashing process. 5 - 20 - 30 - 60 min. Was able to monitor the gravity quite easily during the entire time. Looks like the full conversion ended around 30 min.
3) No more stuck mashes. I had a stuck mash when I made my Rye IPA and it was an absolute nightmare. BIAB I won't have to worry about this anymore.
4) With my new blichman burner and the BIAB I can bring the temp from 152 F to 212 in under 15 minutes. Making the entire brewing process take much less time.

Cons:

1) I had to re-heat the mash a few times due to temp loss. Pretty easy to bring up the heat with my blichmann burner
2) I don't have a false bottom so when heating the kettle I held the bag off the bottom. Anyone have any suggestions for this?

Notes:

1) I wasn't really sure what my efficiency was going to be so I stirred the mash frequently during the 75 min mash. Also stirred and rocked the bag during mash out.
2) I used to do 10 gallon batches and I am hoping that my kettle will still allow me to do BIAB 10 gallons. I haven't done any measurements yet.

Looking forward to brewing more batches with this method! Jimmy i owe you a few pints.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:53 am

Yeah, the 10 gallon question. BIAB only saves time for me if i can do 10 gallon batches. I'd like to hear more on what the guys with this system think of this....
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:14 am

Jamie, glad to hear it's working out for you.

Some people use a dinner plates as a "false bottom", or even a kitchen strainer... Anything that will keep the bag from coming in contact with the area that is being directly heated by the flame should work.

As for the 10g batches... I'm guessing it's possible with lower gravity brews. Some people will mash with part of the total water needed, then top up for the boil. I haven't really looked into it much though.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:42 am

If I can do 5 gallon batches in my 19L kettle then we can do 10g batches in a 15g keggle. It's just a matter of math. Jamie, when we do our next brew together we should try a 10g batch biab. I'll crunch the numbers; I wrote a python program to calculate my max water volumes based on kettle volume and grain mass, along with strike water temperature.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:44 am

That would be great. :headbang:
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:52 am

mr x wrote:That would be great. :headbang:
My first BIAB Pale Ale isn't going to be winning any awards, but I really don't see a problem with brewing a ten gallon batch in a keggle. Next batch will be decisive!

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:15 am

Rasp wrote:I wrote a python program to calculate my max water volumes based on kettle volume and grain mass, along with strike water temperature.
Can I have a copy of that program, please?

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:33 am

I use a voile bag in my cooler instead of a manifold.. i could definitely do a 10g batch, if I had a slightly bigger pot to boil in. but I have to clean cooler, pot and bucket, so I'm not really getting the cleanup advantage of biab, haha. actually, I'm not sure if the stitching in my bag would be strong enough with 10g of wet grain in it..
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:50 am

Rasp wrote:If I can do 5 gallon batches in my 19L kettle then we can do 10g batches in a 15g keggle. It's just a matter of math. Jamie, when we do our next brew together we should try a 10g batch biab. I'll crunch the numbers; I wrote a python program to calculate my max water volumes based on kettle volume and grain mass, along with strike water temperature.
I'm pretty sure we could do a 10gal biab batch. There was quite a bit of space left in my labatts kettle.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:28 pm

I'll have a couple of these with me at the meeting tonight if anyone is interested in checking them out.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:32 pm

derek wrote:
Rasp wrote:I wrote a python program to calculate my max water volumes based on kettle volume and grain mass, along with strike water temperature.
Can I have a copy of that program, please?
Sure, I'll make a new post about it.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

homebrewcrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Brandon

Post by homebrewcrew » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:29 pm

pm sent
JUST BREW IT

pt109

Post by pt109 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 3:10 pm

PM sent

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 6:48 pm

Also available are ones to fit corny kegs. I use one when transferring dry hopped beer from secondary to keg..less worries about picking up hops/yeast and it making its way into the keg.
IMAG0206.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:11 pm

you could make a killing if you can convert these in baby diapers. lol
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:you could make a killing if you can convert these in baby diapers. lol
hmmmmm :lol:

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:38 pm

i turn 30 this year so ill probably need one soon
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:12 am

derek wrote:My longstanding (i.e., I invented it at about 10am today!) procedure calls for using only about 2/3 of the total volume of water in the mash. My kettle is somewhere around 55l when full to the brim, and for 40l finished product I need at least that much water.

So then I haul the bag out of the kettle with a ratcheting pulley, and let it drain straight back into the kettle. When I have my system properly redesigned, I'll just raise the bag a few inches to get it off the bottom, and then put the burner on to get it up to 168F, then raise it high enough to drain and top up with the remaining cold water, bring to boil...
I'm guessing this is due to the volume of the grain bag and the water level falling as you remove said grain bag?
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

derek
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by derek » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:02 am

bluenose wrote:
derek wrote:My longstanding (i.e., I invented it at about 10am today!) procedure calls for using only about 2/3 of the total volume of water in the mash. My kettle is somewhere around 55l when full to the brim, and for 40l finished product I need at least that much water.
I'm guessing this is due to the volume of the grain bag and the water level falling as you remove said grain bag?
The grain absorbs water, too (though I've never cared too much to work out how much), so it typically takes about 60l water for me to make 40l with my 3-keg method, plus I leave some liquid in both the mash tun & boil kettle (about 3 l), because it's below the manifold level. When you do a BIAB you're only going to lose half as much there (and there's nothing in that last 3 l after the boil that I want in my beer :-) )

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Fri Apr 06, 2012 9:03 am

I'm going to use a second, full sized BIAB bag during my boil today to see how it works as a hop sack. Hopefully hop utilization will be equal, or close to equal to throwing directly in boil.

Return to “Mashed In Beer Gear (Formerly www.biab-brewing.com)”