Learn to Homebrew Day - Saturday, November 2, 2013

Discuss past/present/future events
kenny10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ken McCulloch

Re: Learn to Homebrew Day - Saturday, November 2, 2013

Post by kenny10 » Sun Nov 03, 2013 9:08 am

Thanks Chalmers and CA for showing us newbies how its done in the AG world. Excited to get my equipment and start brewing great beer.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:35 am

The vineyard in Calgary

Tool shed brewing company did a brew on an expensive custom modified blichman system and still didn't get as accurate as TimG and I on our inexpensive biab system.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485575.050076.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485589.749442.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485603.599136.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485611.782423.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485621.832884.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485633.599895.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383485646.971540.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sun Nov 03, 2013 10:47 am

Great looking event!
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Nov 03, 2013 4:03 pm

Looks like a great turnout!

Happy to have hosted! The Nut Brown is humming away in the fermentation fridge quite nicely.

adamhinchey11
Name: Adam Hinchey

Post by adamhinchey11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:06 pm

Just missed the mark on this one...a few days too late.

Very interested in learning a few things before I start grabbing some gear.

Keep me in the loop on any future events!

Thanks!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:15 pm

Where are you located? There's always people willing to have someone tag along during their brew day.

adamhinchey11
Name: Adam Hinchey

Post by adamhinchey11 » Mon Nov 04, 2013 11:34 pm

I'm located in the South End of Halifax. That would be great if someone doesn't mind.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Tue Nov 05, 2013 12:08 am

Yeah was the vineyards first time hosting. Lotsa fun but not the same as brewnisers events

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:53 pm

chalmers wrote:Thanks for coming and bringing the family, Mark. Erin at first though Max and Ellie were brother and sister. :)

Great talking beer, drinking beer, making beer. Hope we showed that doing a full mash and/or BIAB is not that much of a time sink compared to partial mashing, but that the method allows exact tuning of your recipe to your tastes and desires. BIAB and 3-vessel were both done within 4 hours (well, the Nut Brown had a 90-min boil, so it was just over 4).

Cheers!
Chris, you finished your traditional brew, using an outside burner in 4 hours (using hot tap water, cheater :)), and Liam did an outside BIAB brew with cold water in 3 ½ hours. I was really impressed. You asked me how long my brew day was in the kitchen, using a stove top. I sheepishly said I think about 7 hours, and then came up with some feeble remarks, like I like to do a slow FWH, and I like it because I can do other stuff at the same time. Truth is I was really envious.

I did a brew today in the kitchen and timed it from putting the water on the stove to clean up and pitching and it was 7 hours and 45mins Fuck! ...I mean Frig!

Then I had a thought. :o Hang on guys! I’m doing 12 gal brews for 2 kegs (I have a lot of trub loss by choice) so it is only taking me half that time to make 5 gals = 3 hours and 53 mins. I beat you Chris, so stop your gloating :) , and I brewed it in the kitchen :)

Liam is the winner by 23 mins with his outside BIAB. :rockin:

How long are other people's inside and outside brew days? per 5 gal....It's useful information for people thinking of getting into all grain.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Fri Nov 08, 2013 9:59 pm

Chris did a double batch as well :^)

When I brewed on a glass top stove it took me much longer, because they just can't put out the heat to get it up to boiling quickly enough - and that was just for a single batch! So I'm not surprised it takes you so long.

If you want to continue to brew on the stove top but want to cut the time down, you might be able to rig up a heat stick or something to give it an extra boost when youre heating before the mash and again when youre trying to bring it to a boil - then take it out and use only the stove for the boil itself. Let's you keep doing it on the stove top but would save you some time.
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:04 pm

Embarrassing, Sorry Chris. I guess you are the winner by miles. I only showed up at the end.

Thanks Liam, I had thought of doing that. I need to wire in a 20 amp plug near the stove top (the one there is only 15 AMP) but I think you are right, and I should go ahead with that. How long does an electric brew day take? That's the other option.

Those heat sticks have a thermostat on them and I could set to strike temp when I leave for work on a Wednesday. I have the afternoon off on Wednesday, so it would be all ready for me when I got home at lunch time.
-Mark

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Fri Nov 08, 2013 10:12 pm

Mark, I can take an aweful long time as well but usually take my time. If you count things like recipe formulation, other brew calculations, weighing out the grain, hops, and water additions it can really add up. My fastest "brew days" are when I do these things the night before. I can push 3.5 hours as well but am usually closer to 5, often more, before I pitch the yeast. Oxygenating the wort takes time too.

Soon I want to do a little experiment where I brew like I cook a meal I really know. NO measurements. Grab some grains, grind em, mash in, same with the hop bill. Fly by the seat of your pants and see where it leads you. Still take gravity measurements perhaps.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sat Nov 09, 2013 10:23 am

GuingesRock wrote:Embarrassing, Sorry Chris. I guess you are the winner by miles. I only showed up at the end.

Thanks Liam, I had thought of doing that. I need to wire in a 20 amp plug near the stove top (the one there is only 15 AMP) but I think you are right, and I should go ahead with that. How long does an electric brew day take? That's the other option.

Those heat sticks have a thermostat on them and I could set to strike temp when I leave for work on a Wednesday. I have the afternoon off on Wednesday, so it would be all ready for me when I got home at lunch time.
Mark

I think I still have 2 15a heat sticks I only used to boil water. Homemade so no thermostat.

If you want them let me know.

Sandy

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:11 am

Thanks Sandy. This was the thermostat one I came across. I wonder if it is any good: http://www.torontobrewing.ca/servlet/th ... ter/Detail

I sent them and email before asking if it was chromium plated (not keen on that) but they said they didn't know, so I didn't order it.

Thanks also for all the helpful comments guys.
-Mark

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:55 pm

RubberToe wrote: Soon I want to do a little experiment where I brew like I cook a meal I really know. NO measurements. Grab some grains, grind em, mash in, same with the hop bill. Fly by the seat of your pants and see where it leads you. Still take gravity measurements perhaps.
I recommend setting up a camera or a mic to record it. You never know, this could be your finest batch ever. I made the best lasagne once for my wifes birthday. Everyone asked to take some home. Could I replicate it. Nope :( Tried so many times and have failed.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Tue Nov 12, 2013 3:28 pm

GuingesRock wrote: How long are other people's inside and outside brew days? per 5 gal....It's useful information for people thinking of getting into all grain.
I do 6 gal batches, 3 tier system, outside (or in my garage with the door open), and it usually takes me 3.5-4 hours. Could easily do 10 gal batches, and I suspect it would only add an 30 minutes-hour or so as it would take a bit longer for the wort to get to rolling boil.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

Return to “Events”