LF Hot rod heat stick

Items for sale/trade
coderson75
Name: Cody Anderson

LF Hot rod heat stick

Post by coderson75 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 8:35 pm

I’m thinking about ordering a hot rod to up the power in my grainfather. If anyone has one they don’t use anymore.. perhaps you have mounted an element or something like that..let me know!
Thanks.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Don

Re: LF Hot rod heat stick

Post by elreplica » Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:57 am

Have you graincoated your Gf? Or using Connect? I bought a heatstick for mine thinking I'd turbo it...ended up using it to heat sparge water in a Mangrove Jacks fermenter...then bought the sparge heater. Now I use it as an emergency backup element for my hot tub lol. You might find that if you have the connect with a graincoat you really don't need the rod...unless of course...you really need it. And you're likely needing one that runs on 120 V...mine is only 1000W...
At Bat: several Czech Pils
On Deck: Cream Ale
In the Hole: Kolsch
Clean Up: Tall Ships Ale clones
On tap: Propeller Pils, Festa Cream Ale

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 am

I run dual hot rod XL's in my brewery. They work great. I can easily move vessel to vessel without issue. Plus I can take them to the sink and quickly clean them without a full tear down of my kettle
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

coderson75

Post by coderson75 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 am

I made a DIY GF coat out of reflectix. Works good. I don’t really have trouble getting a boil. I do have the old controller. I don’t see how the new one would boost my boil. Has that been your experience? I was under the impression it would only really make a difference in maintaining temp due to the PID algorithm.
I am purely looking to boost my power to speed up my brewday, and I would love to be able to drop the rod in a second kettle if I wanted to boil in a separate rig. Say to do a double brew day but mash both times in the GF. Or ya never know. Heat a hot tub haha. That’s great.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:27 am

coderson75 wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:05 am
I made a DIY GF coat out of reflectix. Works good. I don’t really have trouble getting a boil. I do have the old controller. I don’t see how the new one would boost my boil. Has that been your experience? I was under the impression it would only really make a difference in maintaining temp due to the PID algorithm.
I am purely looking to boost my power to speed up my brewday, and I would love to be able to drop the rod in a second kettle if I wanted to boil in a separate rig. Say to do a double brew day but mash both times in the GF. Or ya never know. Heat a hot tub haha. That’s great.

Yeah, used in hot tub once to maintain winter temp until I made a minor repair...replaced gfci plug with normal three wire when it became faulty...I used reflectix and it was fine but decided to give my unit a tuxedo...I've got Connect and you're right...but it does refine the precision, I'm told. The Connect will allow you to preheat so everything's good to go, say first thing in the morning. The rod will def speed things along if that's what you want it to do...and if going to a separate kettles your thing, I'd likely try to get one 1500-1800w...best of luck with your GF Turbo!
Last edited by elreplica on Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:52 am, edited 1 time in total.

elreplica
Verified User
Verified User

Post by elreplica » Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 am

Keith wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 am
I run dual hot rod XL's in my brewery. They work great. I can easily move vessel to vessel without issue. Plus I can take them to the sink and quickly clean them without a full tear down of my kettle
Keith, perhaps let us in on where you got them and specs, ie - wattage, cost, voltage etc. And congrats on your move up the brewage ladder!

mckay75
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Mark

Post by mckay75 » Thu Dec 21, 2017 9:05 am

Here's where you can get the heat sticks...they have a tonne of great stuff!

https://www.brewhardware.com

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Thu Dec 21, 2017 12:55 pm

elreplica wrote:
Thu Dec 21, 2017 8:31 am
Keith wrote:
Tue Dec 19, 2017 9:57 am
Keith, perhaps let us in on where you got them and specs, ie - wattage, cost, voltage etc. And congrats on your move up the brewage ladder!
240v, dual elements, 50amp spa panel.
Only spot they are for sale was linked just above this. :cheers2:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

coderson75

Post by coderson75 » Sat Dec 23, 2017 12:11 am

Ya I’ve been stalking that site for awhile. They have Been out of stock on the DIY version for at least a week. Maybe in the new year they will have them again.

Return to “Classifieds”