Free grain

Items for sale/trade
HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew Turton

Free grain

Post by HotBreak » Wed Mar 10, 2021 11:30 pm

Free to anyone who wants it. About 60 lbs of shoreline pale ale malt. I am not going to use it. Full bag is unopened.
Fair warning- I was not happy with it and it is not easy to mash. It may be better suited to animal feed.

Drew
(902) 476-3252
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

asoucy
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Alexander Soucy

Re: Free grain

Post by asoucy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:00 am

I'll take it!

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User

Post by HotBreak » Thu Mar 11, 2021 8:47 am

Send me a text at 9024763252 and we will link up

Drew
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw

Post by darciandjenn » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:59 am

If you're keen on this malt, I have about half a bag that you are welcome to come get. :lol:

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am

From what I discovered, there were some malting issues leading to high beta glucan levels. To aid in denaturing, if you have the ability, a step mash with acid and protein rests before sacchrification can help, or try to acquire beta glucanase enzyme additive. It can also help to blend it with a highly modified malt to bump up the mash enzymes.
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

asoucy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by asoucy » Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am

I'll take your free malt too Darciandjenn! you can text me at 902-717-3337. Thanks!

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Cam

Post by wcturnedec » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:10 pm

know1 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am
From what I discovered, there were some malting issues leading to high beta glucan levels. To aid in denaturing, if you have the ability, a step mash with acid and protein rests before sacchrification can help, or try to acquire beta glucanase enzyme additive. It can also help to blend it with a highly modified malt to bump up the mash enzymes.
That's exactly what I heard from Shoreline as well as some other pro brewers who were using it in PEI. I finished off my bag by blending it with other Pils/2-Row malt as well as using it as a base malt in a brett beer.
On tap: APA, Dubbel, Dark Mild
Fermenting: Brett Saison 2022, Schwarzbier, APA, Sour Brown,
Coming up: American Wheat (Fruited), Vienna Lager, Dortmunder
Bottled: Brett Saison 2020, Brett Saison 2021, Baltic Porter

know1
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Jeramy Slaunwhite

Post by know1 » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:35 pm

wcturnedec wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:10 pm
know1 wrote:
Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:11 am
That's exactly what I heard from Shoreline as well as some other pro brewers who were using it in PEI. I finished off my bag by blending it with other Pils/2-Row malt as well as using it as a base malt in a brett beer.
:rockin: :cheers2:
Kegged: El Dorado IPA, Rocketfuel 2.0, Wet Hopped Pale, Ryrish Red, Marzen, BN Exchange Dunkel, BN Exchange NEIPA, Lies Lies Lies - Citra <0.5% ale
Fermenting: NZ Pilsner with Enigma, Strawberry brett cider

HotBreak
Verified User
Verified User

Post by HotBreak » Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:20 pm

Gone to a new home......
Chug, Chug, Chug.....

asoucy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by asoucy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:16 am

Thanks again. Let the experiments begin...

asoucy
Verified User
Verified User

Post by asoucy » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:09 am

Was this issue with Shoreline a single-batch issue? Asking because in general I like the idea of buying local.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:23 am

asoucy wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:09 am
Was this issue with Shoreline a single-batch issue? Asking because in general I like the idea of buying local.
As far as I can tell and from what info I gathered from other brewers it centered around their Pale Male/2-row that was being produced in the Spring/Summer 2020. I haven't used any pale malt since then however I still use their Pils malt and its fantastic! I know 2-Crows, Stillwell and North Brewing use the Pils regularly without issue.

If you can get your hands on some of their Pils malt I would highly recommend it, IMHO far better than Viking in terms of flavour.

Beert
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bert

Post by Beert » Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:32 am

wcturnedec wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:23 am
asoucy wrote:
As far as I can tell and from what info I gathered from other brewers it centered around their Pale Male/2-row that was being produced in the Spring/Summer 2020. I haven't used any pale malt since then however I still use their Pils malt and its fantastic! I know 2-Crows, Stillwell and North Brewing use the Pils regularly without issue.

If you can get your hands on some of their Pils malt I would highly recommend it, IMHO far better than Viking in terms of flavour.
Is the pils dusty at all?
I’ve never seen malt that has as much grain dust/flour comIng off it than the pale (I’m talking straight out of the bag before milling).
The birds at the feeder don’t seem to have a problem with it. lol.

wcturnedec
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by wcturnedec » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:10 pm

Beert wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:32 am
wcturnedec wrote:
asoucy wrote:

I’ve never seen malt that has as much grain dust/flour comIng off it than the pale (I’m talking straight out of the bag before milling).
The Pils is dusty yes, I spoke with Shoreline about that but they mentioned that is due to the low moisture content...that's about as much as I remember lol

Beert
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Bert

Post by Beert » Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:17 pm

wcturnedec wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:10 pm
Beert wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 11:32 am
wcturnedec wrote:

The Pils is dusty yes, I spoke with Shoreline about that but they mentioned that is due to the low moisture content...that's about as much as I remember lol
It’s definitely dry! Unlike the beers it produces ;) No complaints with the taste of the pale though.

ConanTroutman
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ConanTroutman » Fri Mar 12, 2021 1:08 pm

I've had minimal issues with the pils, save for one brew. I think that most of my beers being 2.5%-4% has meant my grain bills are small enough to minimize any shortcomings. I'll leave the brewery nameless, but I have spoken to at least one brewer that uses their stuff semi regularly that has said they aren't happy with it, mainly protein complaints.

I prefer to support local as well, but I think malt is something I'm skeptical if craft producers can really compete with the big guys. I think you need to be able to win on either price or quality, but so far most examples I've seen miss the mark on both. Paying more for an inferior product doesn't seem too sustainable if the only benefit is marketing.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Fri Mar 12, 2021 8:29 pm

know1 wrote:From what I discovered, there were some malting issues leading to high beta glucan levels. To aid in denaturing, if you have the ability, a step mash with acid and protein rests before sacchrification can help, or try to acquire beta glucanase enzyme additive. It can also help to blend it with a highly modified malt to bump up the mash enzymes.
Ha, I’m not doing acid rests in 2021. Even protein rests seem antiquated.

I’ve been blending mine in at 10% or so of the grain bill. I also let my preschool aged son play brewer with it, scooping in and out of buckets. Better that than my good malt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Classifieds”