Page 1 of 1

Wine press.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:03 pm
by GAM
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z403140709" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:10 pm
by jeffsmith
Anyone know if that would work for apples?

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 1:45 pm
by GAM
I don't see why not.

Sandy

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Thu Aug 09, 2012 5:27 pm
by jason.loxton
This seems to be a video of someone using that press for apples: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWxefTCTyIs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:51 am
by Jayme
You need to grind the apples before pressing but otherwise, yes it will work.

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:13 am
by jeffsmith
Jayme wrote:You need to grind the apples before pressing but otherwise, yes it will work.
Peeling, coring and cutting into 1/8ths wouldn't do it?

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:27 pm
by Jayme
It might - I think the idea behind the grinding is it's faster and less labour intensive. I also figure you'll get better results from grinding too. If you google it, there are some pretty basic homemade versions out there.

Re: Wine press.

Posted: Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:11 pm
by derek
Jayme wrote:It might - I think the idea behind the grinding is it's faster and less labour intensive. I also figure you'll get better results from grinding too. If you google it, there are some pretty basic homemade versions out there.
The problem with grinding is that you get very rapid oxidation. I'm not sure how you get around that - when we used to make cider back in Ontario, we'd get it commercially pressed.