Page 1 of 1
50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 9:18 am
by GAM
http://halifax.kijiji.ca/c-buy-and-sell ... Z417314477" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
He has 8. We could offer to take all of them for $40/.
Sandy
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 10:36 am
by bsmith
When he had them up for $100 per keg I offered him $20 per keg...no response
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 11:11 am
by LiverDance
$250 for the 8 seems reasonable.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 12:25 pm
by Dirt Chicken
If this guy agrees to 40/each, I'm down for one of the 8!!
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:45 pm
by bsmith
Offered him $180 for the lot...he'll go as low as $350, more than I want to spent @ 43.75 per keg but if someone wants to here is his email
matthew_shannon@hotmail.com
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Sep 27, 2012 2:46 pm
by mr x
I wouldn't give him a cent over $30 for 50l kegs.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 11:29 am
by Dirt Chicken
guess they're worth like 30 in scrap metal ?
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 10:59 am
by HopGrower
$30, why so cheap? A 50l SS pot is well over $100, isn't it?
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:04 am
by akr71
HopGrower wrote:$30, why so cheap? A 50l SS pot is well over $100, isn't it?
A 50l pot is ready to use, a keg needs significant work and other parts to make it a kettle.
Kettles are sold by commercial resellers who want to stay in business, kegs are sold by people who have them lying around and are looking for a quick buck.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:07 am
by HopGrower
I guess, if avoiding the 2 whole minutes with a grinder is worth the extra 70 bucks.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:14 am
by CorneliusAlphonse
and the paying someone to weld a port in
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:23 am
by akr71
CorneliusAlphonse wrote:and the paying someone to weld a port in
& buying the ball-lock & maybe a dip tube or hop-blocker
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:24 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Weldless bulkheads are easy, effective and relatively cheap.
What I've done is connect a ball valve (outside of the keg) to a coupler (inside of the keg) with a nipple. Add a gasket on the outside and BAM! You've got a weldless setup.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:29 am
by akr71
Fishdisease wrote:Weldless bulkheads are easy, effective and relatively cheap.
What I've done is connect a ball valve (outside of the keg) to a coupler (inside of the keg) with a nipple. Add a gasket on the outside and BAM! You've got a weldless setup.
Yeah, sounds a lot like mine, but once you start adding up all that extra hardware, you're getting close to $100, depending on how much you get the keg for. My point was - if I'm gonna spend that kind of coin, I want it ready to use, not just a keg.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:38 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
akr71 wrote:Yeah, sounds a lot like mine, but once you start adding up all that extra hardware, you're getting close to $100, depending on how much you get the keg for. My point was - if I'm gonna spend that kind of coin, I want it ready to use, not just a keg.
That's true, if the costs are even close to a kettle after you take into consideration equivalent setups, then who would want to convert a keg?. But consider that there are probably more converted kegs out there then pre-fabbbed kettles (reference needed) and there's a reason for that. How many kettles come with a valve and dip/tube or hop-stopper for under $100.
Assuming that we're not including a dip-tube/false bottom/hop stopper
Keg - $30
Ball Valve, Nipple, Coupler - $20
Time to cut out the top and install the valve - 1-2 hrs
I still think its a good enough deal to covert a keg.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:44 am
by HopGrower
I know what you mean, but still, pre-built ready-to-use is never cheaper than DIY. And could you even get a SS kettle with all the extras for $100? I was thinking just a SS sauce pot itself would run you that.
I dunno. I bought them anyway - $300 for all 8. And thankfully I can weld, so here's hoping it'll work out for me.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:47 am
by GillettBreweryCnslt
Not a bad deal. Now what are you going to do with 8 kegs!

Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:48 am
by jeffsmith
You have to factor in the value of your time as well. With a 50+ hour a week job, an 18-month old son, and another kid on the way, I'd much rather spend that 1 to 2 hours brewing. Also, 58l kegs (more breathing room for 10gal batches) are much harder to come by, at least up in this neck of the woods these days.
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Wed Oct 03, 2012 11:53 am
by HopGrower
Cut/weld 2 together for a mash/lauter tun, 2 for a kettle, and 2/2 fermentation tanks.
Gotta locate some SS immersion heater elements now. Yay!
Re: 50l beer kegs.
Posted: Thu Oct 04, 2012 1:21 am
by erslar00
mr x wrote:I wouldn't give him a cent over $30 for 50l kegs.
I would agree with this. I could almost say I hate my 50l keggle with a passion now... you can't do a proper double batch given the reduced volume, you have to adjust all your recipes to hit your numbers and you're always worried about boil overs... the only saving grace for me was I got mine free.
I will be either gettingthe larger 58.8 or most likely just shelling out the 120 + for the 19 gal or 15 gal from OBK