Talk anything non-beer related
timcress10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Cress

Cleaning up old bottles

Post by timcress10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 1:28 pm

Hey Brewnosers!

I was helping clean out my in-laws place the past couple of weekends and came across a nifty little collection of the old stubby beer bottles, all of them with the labels still attached. I've picked through and kept the ones with labels in better shape but nearly all of them are covered in layers of dust and dirt. Just wondering if anyone out there has come across a similar need, and how you went about cleaning the bottles while still preserving the labels. I've attached a before picture here so everyone can see what I'm talking about; all of these are the old Keith's stubbies.
2016-08-09 13.25.41.jpg
Cheers, and happy brewing all!

-Tim
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Tim Cress

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Re: Cleaning up old bottles

Post by Woody » Tue Aug 09, 2016 2:07 pm

Cleaning those bottles and keeping the labels on is going to be tough. I was given hundreds years ago. I used a bunch for last years Brewnoser advent exchange and they need washed off outside and a long soak in pbw or oxiclean. I then rinsed and sanitized and rinsed again. Maybe you could find a way to cover the labels with tape of some sort. Good luck.

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Tue Aug 09, 2016 5:49 pm

Thanks for the reply! I've been trying to come up with some way to seal the label to withstand at least a gentle scrubbing of the bottle; I'm only planning on having them on display in my man-cave.
Tim Cress

mthibodeau
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Marc Thibodeau

Post by mthibodeau » Tue Aug 09, 2016 7:26 pm

What about cleaning the labels up a good as possible, and then hitting the label portion with some lacquer or varnish, that should hold up to cleaning the rest of the bottle

Sent from my STV100-3 using Tapatalk
Kegged:
Bottled: Chocolate Orange Stout, Barkshack Sparkling Ginger Mead, Cherry Berliner
Fermenting: Fruit (havent decided yet) Lambic
Considering: Imperial Chocolate Raspberry Stout, Fir Tip Ale

Woody
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Derek

Post by Woody » Wed Aug 10, 2016 10:52 am

If you only want to display the bottles. Cap them and gently clean the outside with the damp cloth. :cheers2:

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Wed Aug 10, 2016 1:16 pm

Thanks folks! I'm thinking a few layers of a polyurethane over the labels should be enough to allow me to clean the outsides well enough for display. It would be nice to get the insides cleaned as well, but we'll see how it goes.
Tim Cress

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu Aug 11, 2016 2:20 pm

I actually don't think that will be a problem. Most of the dirt seems to be dust. That should wipe off with a wet cloth. I had a ton of old bottles that I used for brewing. The colours didn't run (which might not be the case with you) and unless the labels got so wet that the glue gave, would dry just fine. I am pretty sure I full on submerged mine and then just allowed them to dry up.

Return to “Off Topic”