Talk anything non-beer related
timcress10
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Tim Cress

Any hardwood yards/dealers

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:43 am

Hiya folks,

I'm on the lookout for any places/people in NS that sell a wide(ish) selection of hardwood boards. I'm perfectly fine with rough sawn boards, but looking at some pieces from 4/4 all the way up to 8/4 and possibly even some 12/4. I know there's East Coast Specialty Hardwoods in Dartmouth, but I'm looking to see if anyone knows of any other, even smaller businesses that might be closer to the Antigonish and Cape Breton area. Thanks, and happy brewing!
Tim Cress

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Name: Tim

Re: Any hardwood yards/dealers

Post by Tim Gregory » Sat Jul 06, 2019 1:07 pm

Halifax specialty hardwoods in Hammonds plains are pretty good. There's a bunch of smaller mills with rough cut boards here and there. The hardwood tree in Enfield has some nice stuff at good prices, and I think there's one near Kentville. There's a guy in Fall River, the wood turner I think. Check kijiji or facebook marketplace and you'll find some. They can be hit or miss if you're looking for stuff that's straight and dry, but hardwood tree and wood Turner are both pretty good.

Peterpasha
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Peter Greathead

Post by Peterpasha » Sat Jul 06, 2019 4:06 pm

Funny you should ask, this hardwood auction was just announced a day or two ago: https://auctionad.ca/upcoming-auction/up1/
On Tap:
Irreplaceable Pale Ale
On Deck:

Fermenting
Black IPA
Planning
Irish Red Ale

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by Tim Gregory » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm

I guess I'm not the only woodworking homebrewer? What kind of stuff are you making? You can check out some of my stuff here:

https://www.facebook.com/makingthegrain/

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sat Jul 06, 2019 9:07 pm

Tim Gregory wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:00 pm
I guess I'm not the only woodworking homebrewer? What kind of stuff are you making? You can check out some of my stuff here:

https://www.facebook.com/makingthegrain/
I'm picking away at a few different house projects (aka, things my wife would like that happen to make it to the ole "honey do" list). We bought out first home in October 2016, so since we've moved in I've put a bank of built ins around fire place in the living room, build a bunch of shelves, put in a large work desk and Murphy bed in our office (my wife sews and in my 9-5 I'm a teacher). In the last month we wrapped up building a deck onto the front of our house.
I've been around wood workers and carpenters all my life, but it wasn't until the last 5 or so years that I really wanted to get into making things myself, and have slowly been adding to my collection of tools. I appreciate the tips on where to look into!
I'm in the middle of designing a toy-chest/future hope chest for my daughter that can be a nice heirloom piece for her, so I wanted to go the route of some nice hardwood as opposed to plywood.
Tim Cress

Tim Gregory
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by Tim Gregory » Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 pm

Nice. I'm mostly just doing small stuff as a hobby/side hustle. It's a lot of fun!

timcress10
Verified User
Verified User

Post by timcress10 » Sun Jul 07, 2019 10:30 am

Tim Gregory wrote:
Sat Jul 06, 2019 10:48 pm
Nice. I'm mostly just doing small stuff as a hobby/side hustle. It's a lot of fun!
I couldn't agree more! Just like homebrewing, it allows for that creative outlet but still has some of that good ole math and science to take into account too.
Tim Cress

Return to “Off Topic”