Ethernet through coaxial cable

Talk anything non-beer related
CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Adam Comeau

Ethernet through coaxial cable

Post by CartoonCod » Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:43 pm

Does anybody run ethernet through coax cables in their house? I just got the idea since my new place has coax and phone lines throughout the house, but not CAT5. From some quick research looks like there are some products out there that will do the job and some of them are expensive. Just wondering if anybody has already looked into this and has any advice to offer. Thanks!

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Re: Ethernet through coaxial cable

Post by mumblecrunch » Thu Apr 01, 2021 11:29 pm

Ethernet over coax used to be super common. (Token ring networks REPRESENT!) That technology effectively died at the turn of the millennium in spite of many houses being well-run with coax.

Nowadays Ethernet-over-coax requires special adapters and good ones are expensive as you have discovered. Even then there are bandwidth limitations. It will probably work if you’re willing to make the investment and accept the limitations.

Best case scenario would be if your coax isn’t stapled. Then you can potentially use it as a pull string to run CAT6, which is better in pretty much every way.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CartoonCod » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:49 am

Cool thanks Aaron! I'll give my coax cables a quick tug to see if they are stapled and if so probably go with a mesh wifi system instead.

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:29 am

WIFI is the easiest option. In theory any electrical circuit will work.

Is your ISP Eastlink? The installer should have had advice (Most only get IP to one device and you pay for more).

If you want to run Cat "X" using the interior walls it should be fairly easy.

S

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Apr 11, 2021 10:42 pm

I’ve had great results with Powerline adapters: Ethernet over Power. Yes really. Doesn’t have to be on the same breaker or anything. Somehow it just works! 400+MBps. Highly recommend, and can give more details if you’re interested.

CartoonCod
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CartoonCod » Mon Apr 12, 2021 6:55 pm

Thanks folks, I found a good deal on a mesh wifi systems and went with that. I completely forgot you could run ethernet over power. I should have looked into that. Oh well. This mesh system is pretty slick. I can now shut off the TV-stream of my kids from the other side of the house since it is all on the same network. This is the future.

Return to “Off Topic”