XBMC

Talk anything non-beer related
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Re: XBMC

Post by RubberToe » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:01 pm

Nexus Player is by far the best Android TV device IMHO. It may not have the best specs for the hardware but the timely updates and official Android / support is great. The problem is finding one.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:03 pm

LiverDance wrote:Jimmy, it the nexus thing different? I'm looking to pick something up to try out but I want to be able to get sports and tv shows with decent quality. Is there anything local I can pick up? Or maybe I should grab the one like Jeff has?
The Nexus player is just Google's official video box that runs Android OS. I picked it up at Walmart for $70 bucks during a sale. You can install Kodi direct from the Google play app store, so no modifications or workarounds are necessary.

XBMC (Kodi) is an app that you can install on an Android (as well as the other OS's) based video box. A laptop connected to your TV via HDMI will work just as good.

The quality varies quite a bit for live streaming - you could click on one source that is 720p, then the next one isn't even worth broadcasting.

It's great if you want to watch shows that previously aired - they are normally up within a few hours of being broadcasted, and typically in 720p.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Apr 26, 2016 3:36 pm

What are some alternative android boxes?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Tue Apr 26, 2016 4:59 pm

There's a ton of them on amazon. I grabbed the particular model I did because of good forum support, it's not a clone, audio/video codecs supported, can be configured as a PVR.

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00YXJ ... dp_summary" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Allan

Post by AllanMar » Tue Apr 26, 2016 5:59 pm

LiverDance wrote:What are some alternative android boxes?
Have a read of this if your interested in Kodi:
http://forum.kodi.tv/showthread.php?tid=252916" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'd recommend heeding their advice on android boxes... They're a dime a dozen don't just go for the cheapest possible one as you may slowly discover all the strange quirks it has without a big userbase you'll be in for a rough time. Minix as X mentioned is pricier, but among the highest recommended.

I find the RaspberryPi works pretty well as a cheap Kodi box.
If your using Kodi check out TVAddons "Config Wizard" (lots of guides out there) which will have everything setup/preinstalled with a good selection of stuff automatically.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Wed Apr 27, 2016 12:29 pm

Thanks for the help guys, i ordered the same one as x got. Looking forward to it
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Swine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan Swinamer

Post by Swine » Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:44 pm

I just ordered the same one, reviews seem good.
I am hoping to give it a month or two to try, then if working well and my wife can work it, good bye cable... Then buy a 2nd unit for the other TV.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Post by Juniper Hill » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:01 pm

I bought an android box a while back. Have been happy with it, but most of the add-ons I use (prime channel, genesis) stopped working a last month.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:07 pm

Juniper Hill wrote:I bought an android box a while back. Have been happy with it, but most of the add-ons I use (prime channel, genesis) stopped working a last month.
Add the Exodus app - it's from the creator of the Genesis app. He stopped updating Genesis and released Exodus.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 30, 2016 6:11 pm

Got mine running today. Not sure what to make of it yet. Anybody using a VPN?
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sat Apr 30, 2016 9:01 pm

I am but it's not as easy to as I'd like. You have to download a client in the google playstore and login that way (assuming your VPN service has an app). Then you can go to the home screen and continue as usual.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Sat Apr 30, 2016 10:07 pm

I downloaded hola, but I'm not sure how to use it.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Sun May 01, 2016 7:32 am

I wouldn't use a free service. My understanding is that it gives others access to your internet opening your network up to possible problems.

Jthulu
Name: Jarratt

Post by Jthulu » Sun May 01, 2016 10:37 am

I use Unotelly and change the DNS on my router. I bought a Kindle Fire Stick almost a year ago and can watch kodi, Netflix and Hulu. I also have a matricom box as well. I definitely recommend subscribing to Dexter pro, it's £4 and has a ton of streaming channels direct from source.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon May 02, 2016 9:04 am

Probably use this mainly for it's original purpose, watching movies from HDD. Although I can see the point of using this to cut the cord, by not making me want to watch anything at all lolololol. Too many dead links, too much buffering, overall time vampire.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Post by Juniper Hill » Tue May 10, 2016 12:31 pm

Jimmy wrote:
Juniper Hill wrote:I bought an android box a while back. Have been happy with it, but most of the add-ons I use (prime channel, genesis) stopped working a last month.
Add the Exodus app - it's from the creator of the Genesis app. He stopped updating Genesis and released Exodus.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Wed May 18, 2016 3:11 pm

Is there buffering controls to stop stream stuttering?

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed May 18, 2016 4:23 pm

mr x wrote:Is there buffering controls to stop stream stuttering?
Yes, you can set the buffer capacity, but I forget how. I believe a used an add on tool...

Return to “Off Topic”