XBMC

Talk anything non-beer related
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

XBMC

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:24 am

Anyone on here using XBMC? I've been using it on my computer, but don't like having to hook it up to the TV when I want to use it. I'd prefer a dedicated box to run XBMC on that is always connected to the TV and has a remote.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a dedicated XBMC box? This one seems to be decent:

http://www.amazon.ca/X8-H-Android-Blu-r ... B00KNLCOUK" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Amazon Fire TV also sounds like it's a good option, though the only Canadian vendor I can find online is through and Amazon 3rd party vendor (Amazon Fire TV isn't available in Canada), and it's preloaded with XBMC.

http://www.amazon.ca/Amazon-Fire-TV-ins ... mazon+fire" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

jeffsmith
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff Smith

Re: XBMC

Post by jeffsmith » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:31 am

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:33 am

I thought about that but have read that it's a little underpowered for running 1080P.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

XBMC

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:48 am

I have a raspberry pi and run xbmc on it with 1080p no problems. My only beef is that it doesn't come with a native remote so I have to use my cell phone to control it over wifi and it's not convenient.

But I would prefer a more beefier system which could do more.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:50 am

sleepyjamie wrote:I have a raspberry pi and run xbmc on it with 1080p no problems. My only beef is that it doesn't come with a native remote so I have to use my cell phone to control it over wifi and it's not convenient.

But I would prefer a more beefier system which could do more.

Any idea if you can use a Logitech Harmony remote with the pi?

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:53 am

It depends in the remote model. I have a harmony remote but it is infrared. The pi doesn't have IR natively so that won't work unless you get an adapter.

If u had a wifi remote it should work.

On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Post by gm- » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:03 pm

Chromecast+Plex server installed on a pc somewhere does the same trick for quite a bit less.

But if you are set on a box, I have heard great things about the Neo ones.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

bluenose
Verified User
Verified User

Post by bluenose » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:36 pm

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=330
I got one of these on ebay (paid too much because I didn't browse all the listings)

It works pretty good for what I need. Mine has two usb drives which I mostly use since since I have no idea how to connect it to my computer
This is my signature. There are many like it, but this one is mine.

AllanMar
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Allan

Post by AllanMar » Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:37 pm

I use XBMC and love it. Have it on a ZBox (mini-PC), an AppleTV2, and a raspberrypi. Works pretty well, all be a bit laggy on the appletv/pi (for menus only, videos play well)

evanisnor
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Evan Isnor

Post by evanisnor » Fri Aug 01, 2014 7:57 am

I've been running XBMC on a custom built PC for about 4 years now. 8tb of space in RAID 5. SABznbd, Sickbeard, Couchpotato. IIRC it cost about $900. Most of that was disk space, but I'm still using it with no signs of it quitting.

If you get a PI you'll still have to figure out what you're going to do for storage.

I used to use a PS3 remote with a bluetooth dongle but after an Ubuntu update I couldn't tweak the kernel into loading the proper module, so now I'm back to using a wireless keyboard. It's not so bad.

Maybe price out a budget desktop pc with a few terrabytes of space?

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 am

I have a raid II 3tb NAS that I use with my pi. The nice thing about the pi is that it uses very little power compared to traditional computers which can be in excessive of 500w sometimes.

On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:30 am

evanisnor wrote:I've been running XBMC on a custom built PC for about 4 years now. 8tb of space in RAID 5.
I had minor heart palpitations at the thought of an 8GB RAID5 and then realized for home storage it's probably still reasonable.
sleepyjamie wrote:I have a raid II 3tb NAS that I use with my pi. The nice thing about the pi is that it uses very little power compared to traditional computers which can be in excessive of 500w sometimes.
This is my grand plan at some point. Get a nice NAS box (which are generally also much more power efficient than PCs unless you spend a bunch of extra money to build a low-power media PC) like a Synology or a QNAP and then use very lightweight devices to read off it (AppleTV if it ever learns to read straight off a Samba share, maybe a PI, maybe a Roku).

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5

Post by sleepyjamie » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:37 am

My synology ds213j with two 3tb nas drives was around $450.

On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison

gyorke
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Gordon Yorke

Post by gyorke » Tue Aug 05, 2014 10:40 am

I have a pi running against a simple Windows share. I think it works great. Things can get a little sluggish when the XBMC is updating the library but in general it runs as well as netflix on my bluray player. I added a hardware ir receiver for the remote, there are lots of tutorials on the internet, but I believe usb ir receivers are natively supported now. I am currently running xbian as the XBMC version with a class 10 sd card.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 25, 2016 4:38 pm

Reviving the dead here. I bought one of these boxes to watch movies in the evening at work. I guess I can stream tv on it as well? Anybody watching sports on one of these?

http://minix.com.hk/en/products/neo-x8-h-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jeff

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:17 pm

[quote="mr x"]Reviving the dead here. I bought one of these boxes to watch movies in the evening at work. I guess I can stream tv on it as well? Anybody watching sports on one of these?

I use one like this https://www.amazon.ca/Susay%C2%AE-QUAD- ... B00V7HXV2E" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; but I got it off ebay. Works awesome and I've watched all kinds of sports in HD on it.

'pro sports' is my favourite right now for sports.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:29 pm

What kind of sports are you watching? Can you get stuff from Europe? PPV?

gonna check out the link
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Apr 25, 2016 7:34 pm

Once you're into the kodi app you can get new add-ons.

All of the PPV's are there plus tons from Europe. What are you looking for? The quality ranges quite a bit depending on which feeds you watch. After searching around you'll find some you'll like. UK Turk Playlists has a lot of European sports feeds.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:10 pm

I watch a bit of rugby and boxing from europe. I have lived with really crappy resolution, so I can't image it will be any worse. Sounds like a fun toy though.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Mon Apr 25, 2016 8:15 pm

You will easily find all of that. Good luck with it.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:40 pm

I've been running it on my computer for a couple years now, but picked up a Nexus player about 8 months ago. We use it every day. There are some "auto configure" addons that will install all the major video apps for you. If you go to tvaddons website, it has a bunch of resources for video.

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Post by mr x » Mon Apr 25, 2016 9:55 pm

Cool. Will be here on Wednesday and we'll see how it goes. Might even contemplate cutting the tv package. Can you get local channels like CBC/CTV/Global? Or are you stuck with OTA?

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Tue Apr 26, 2016 7:15 am

I use global Halifax on there all the time, haven't really looked for the others.

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Tue Apr 26, 2016 9:01 am

Jimmy, it the nexus thing different? I'm looking to pick something up to try out but I want to be able to get sports and tv shows with decent quality. Is there anything local I can pick up? Or maybe I should grab the one like Jeff has?
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Tue Apr 26, 2016 10:38 am

LiverDance wrote:Jimmy, it the nexus thing different? I'm looking to pick something up to try out but I want to be able to get sports and tv shows with decent quality. Is there anything local I can pick up? Or maybe I should grab the one like Jeff has?
There are some people who sell them locally that are preconfigured on kijiji. I assume they just ordered a bunch in bulk and resell them. Worth checking out. Mine was from China so the delivery was a bit of a wait but it was cheaper.

Return to “Off Topic”