Wine Filter recommendations

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
FooFytr
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Paul Moore

Wine Filter recommendations

Post by FooFytr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:44 pm

Made sure to keep this out of the beer discussions :) I'm looking to buy a wine filter and wanted to get some opinions before shelling out the cash. I currently rent from NG and always have good luck with their filters, just want to have my own. The standard orange filters with round pads seem ok but I've heard nothing but good things about the Buon Vino kits. They are a little pricey.. is it worth it? I have only made wine from kits so far, Chardonnay, Shiraz, Malbec ... do I really need a top-of-the-line filter?

Any input here would be appreciated!!

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Re: Wine Filter recommendations

Post by Juniper Hill » Mon Feb 24, 2014 1:33 pm

I used to use the NG style filter system. Works okay, but I typically can't filter more that one carboy with the #2's. It's a real PITA to swap out filters in between carboys. They are fine if you are only filter one carboy though.

I moved over to a Enolmatic bottling system which has an in-line cartridge filter option - worked great and finished 10 carboys without clogging. The system is a pricey, though.

I haven't used the bon vino filters, but I hear that the superjet works a lot better than the minijet.

Good luck.

Neil

FooFytr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by FooFytr » Mon Feb 24, 2014 4:17 pm

Hey Neil,

Thanks for the suggestion of the Enolmatic! Checked out a few vids and it looks awesome but may be a little overkill for me. Typically I only have one kit on at a time due to space limitations.

I really don't mind the NG kits but you're right, they a re a pain to change :) I have also heard the same about the Minijet vs. the Superjet and would most likely try the super based on that. My main concern is not speed but filtering quality.

Paul

erslar00
Verified User
Verified User

Post by erslar00 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 7:48 pm

Curious FooFytr if you've ever let the Chardonnay sit on the Lees rather than rack it off and filter it? I did this by accident a few years ago and produced the best Chardonnay I've ever done. I started it in my cellar in the basement at temp of about 14 deg c and because of work, kept getting called away to out of town assignments.. came back about 90 or 120 days later and it was absolutely crystal clear and a really nice rich rather buttery chardonnay. I'm no wine expert and was curious if the cool slow ferment allowed this to happen or was it just a matter of time...been meaning to do it again see if the same thing happens. thoughts?

http://winemakersacademy.com/sur-lie-aging-explained/

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kirsten & Keely

Post by redoubt » Mon Feb 24, 2014 8:16 pm

FooFytr wrote:I really don't mind the NG kits but you're right, they a re a pain to change :) I have also heard the same about the Minijet vs. the Superjet and would most likely try the super based on that. My main concern is not speed but filtering quality.

Paul
I work at NG in Coldbrook and have used both the NG rental kit and the Superjet many times. If you've racked off the lees before filtering with the rental kit, you can usually run a few carboys on #1s and probably a couple on #2s. It's a bit of a pain to change pads in the rentals, but I typically don't find it overly burdensome. To each their own, though. :)

As for the Buon Vinos... I've not used the Minijet but, if the Superjet is in your price range, I'd go with that. We use the Superjet to filter all the wines in the Coldbrook winery. I can get through a heck of a lot of whites on #2s without a change-over and can run them indefinitely on #1s. Reds are a bit more problematic with #2s, but multiples can certainly be done.

I know quantity is not your main concern, but I think the Superjet bears out for quality too. With #2s in, you'll get a spectacular "sparkle" in your wine, white or red. With #1s, you'll still see a huge difference too; does a fantastic job. It's also crazy fast compared to the rental kits. IIRC, the specs I read for it say 60 gallons an hour. I hear, though haven't confirmed it for myself, that because it's a closed system you can use it for beer as well. If that makes a difference to you.

I just bought a used Superjet from Kijiji for $100 -- just restored it today, actually! -- but it's well worth the money for a new one IMO. They're also hardy little machines and apparently idiot-proof when it comes to repairs.

If the Superjet isn't in your price range, I hear good things from customers about the Minijet. I'd say it'd be a safe bet and would give you a good quality filter. Buon Vini seems to be a good and trustworthy brand. I'm pretty sure they also still make their stuff in Canada which is just plain awesome.

Good luck deciding!

:cheers2:
-Kirsten

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Post by Juniper Hill » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:12 am

erslar00 wrote:Curious FooFytr if you've ever let the Chardonnay sit on the Lees rather than rack it off and filter it? I did this by accident a few years ago and produced the best Chardonnay I've ever done. I started it in my cellar in the basement at temp of about 14 deg c and because of work, kept getting called away to out of town assignments.. came back about 90 or 120 days later and it was absolutely crystal clear and a really nice rich rather buttery chardonnay. I'm no wine expert and was curious if the cool slow ferment allowed this to happen or was it just a matter of time...been meaning to do it again see if the same thing happens. thoughts?

http://winemakersacademy.com/sur-lie-aging-explained/
Cool ferments are great for preserving aromatics in white wines. I use it all the time. The only trick is making sure your yeast will tollerate the cool temp. Even then, there is a slight risk of a stuck ferment.

The Sur Lie aging think is pretty neat. It's supposed to make the wine more complex and smooth. I haven't done it, because you are supposed to stir the lees a couple of times per week for several months. I'd be worried about contamination with that approach. I've used a yeast product, Biolees, which is supposed to do the same thing.

FooFytr
Verified User
Verified User

Post by FooFytr » Tue Feb 25, 2014 11:41 am

Thanks for all the replies!!!

erslar00 - I have never tried this method but after reading about it, it is something I will try for sure! Unfortunately, I have very limited space to brew and alternate between wine and beer making every other batch. When we move (soon I hope) I will have the space to have multiple batches on the go at once and can experiment more. Thanks for the great suggestion!!

redoubt - Thanks very much for the great insight! I'm not on a super strapped budget but don't want to go crazy :) I think I'll do exactly what you did and hunt around Kijiji until I find a Mini or Super for sale. Until then, I'll keep renting from the great folks at NG. I've read the same about Buon Vino products and they seem to have a great reputation ... and Canadian made is super awesome, have to support that !!

Juniper Hill - I haven't tried a cool ferment yet either but it also sounds pretty awesome. As I mentioned to erslar00, when I have more space to have multiple batches on at a time, I'll get more creative and experimental with my brews. Right now I'm trying to follow instruction as best as I can and get my gear and builds in order.

Cheers to you all !!

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by redoubt » Fri Feb 28, 2014 7:07 pm

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/ci ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

That's an ad for a SuperJet. They're asking $250, but the ad's been up since January. Might be able to wiggle them down a bit...

-Keely.

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by redoubt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:43 pm

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/co ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

An ad that includes a MiniJet. Also has a bunch of carboys, floor corker, corks, etc. They're asking $125 for the lot.

-Keely.

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by redoubt » Sun Mar 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Better yet...

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-hobbies-craft/be ... nFlag=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MiniJet, plus a whack of other gear. $60.

-Keely.

Jeeepman
Name: Jay

Post by Jeeepman » Tue Mar 18, 2014 3:34 pm

Superjet all the way. I bought mine last year from a store out of Ottawa for around $250 new. Worth every penny not to have to clean up after someone else with a rental unit.

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”