new to wine

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

new to wine

Post by amartin » Tue May 13, 2014 1:33 pm

Hey All,

I've just started making wine kits for my dad (I have the equipment already), but I have a question about the temperatures. He likes new world whites, and the kits always say you should be fermenting over 20ºC. Except for summer, my house is rarely that warm, usually around 15 or so, and when I make beer I just use yeast that works at that temperature. If I'm really worried, I'll either pitch more yeast or add more oxygen. Is this something people do with wine yeast? I've just been sprinkling the yeast on top. Is a heat belt my best option?

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Re: new to wine

Post by Juniper Hill » Tue May 13, 2014 2:53 pm

Which yeast comes with the kit you are making? If its EC 1118, you should be ok at 15 C, will just take a little longer to ferment dry. I've generally used a brew belt during cold winter months.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Tue May 13, 2014 3:26 pm

I can tell you the yeast will almost certainl work just fine at temperatures lower than 72 - 74 (recommended range). I believe my first batch fermented largely at about 66 - 68oF.

I can also tell you that if the slight CO2 "sparkle" endemic to homebrew wine bothers you that it's only going to be worse if you don't keep the temperature up. Whites don't seem to be as susceptible or maybe it's just not as noticeable or annoying. My wife is extremely sensitive to it in reds, however, and was unable to drink any of our first batch until we started degassing each bottle with a VacuVin wine-saver. Which is annoying and only works so well.

You can drive a lot of the CO2 out by beating it with a drill-mounted device or an appropriate vacuum setup, but you're also risking oxidiation.

Based on some anecdotal info gleaned from teh intarweebs ("You know why nobody ever complained about gassy wine in the old days? Because nobody expected drinkable wine in 6 weeks"), I'm currently experimenting with bulk aging. I have a Winexpert midrange Cab Sauv from October/November that I fined, bottled half of, and put the rest in an 11L carboy. That will be bottled next week.

I am also doing two of the higher-end Winexpert kits. One, an Eclipse Cab Sauv is underway and is bulk aging unfined in a 19L carboy. Every three months I will rack it off, topping up from one of the four bottles that were the difference to 23L. The intention is to age it a year. I basically followed these instructions right here.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Wed May 14, 2014 12:30 pm

Ok, thanks. I don't know what kind of yeast I had, but it's at .994, and is in the degassing few days right now. When I go to clarify it, is it like beer where dropping the temperature will help, or is that a bad idea?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Wed May 14, 2014 12:50 pm

When you filter (you will want to filter) use a vacuum filter system and you will rid all the co2.

Sandy

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Wed May 14, 2014 1:41 pm

I didn't plan on using a filter (my dad didn't care last time). What's the deal there, I have to rent a machine from NG and buy filters? Is it expensive? For next time, if I do that does it mean that I won't have to stir the wine a bunch to degas it?

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Wed May 14, 2014 3:17 pm

IME unless you bulk age or raise the temp to drive off co2, it may be "gassy". Someone picked up a vac pump for me from Nick. You can use it if you want.

Sandy

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed May 14, 2014 3:49 pm

CO2 coems out of solution better when the wine is warm. There is no need to chill a kit wine.

mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Aaron

Post by mumblecrunch » Wed May 14, 2014 4:18 pm

GAM wrote:IME unless you bulk age or raise the temp to drive off co2, it may be "gassy". Someone picked up a vac pump for me from Nick. You can use it if you want.

Sandy
That was me ;) And the pump in question is an aquarium air pump. Suitable for driving wine through a filter with air pressure but it won't do any degassing. You need the jet pump for that and they run a couple hundred bucks unless you get lucky on Kijiji.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Thu May 22, 2014 9:28 pm

Hey all, thanks for the help. I ended up borrowing my neighbours filter. It's the kind that's not a vacuum, but I degassed it with a spoon before anyway. I haven't tasted it, but dad seems happy with it. So, success!

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Tue May 27, 2014 11:49 am

Ok, another question. The kits always tell you to sanitize your stuff with sodium metabisulphate, and clean it with some other thing I can't remember the name of. Is there any reason I can't just use PBW and star san?

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Tue May 27, 2014 12:03 pm

amartin wrote:Ok, another question. The kits always tell you to sanitize your stuff with sodium metabisulphate, and clean it with some other thing I can't remember the name of. Is there any reason I can't just use PBW and star san?
They usually recommend the pink stuff to clean, but PBW work just as well. I typically use the generic version of oxyclean..cheaper than PBW. You could use startsan or iodophor to sanitize instead of the sodium meta if you wish.

amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8

Post by amartin » Tue May 27, 2014 12:09 pm

Yeah, I have Walmart's Great Value oxygenated detergent instead. Ok, thanks.

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”