Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
patman
Name: Patrick

Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet

Post by patman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:16 am

Anyone ever made this? Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet looking at making it, as i was offered a sweet deal by a friend for it, he bought it from a store that went out of business last month, and now doesn't want it... so i can get it for like 20 bucks.. BUT that being said its my first WINE, and i don't want to make a crappy wine.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Re: Island Mist Blackberry Cabernet

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jun 04, 2014 4:37 am

It''s a wine cooler-like product. I made something similar many years ago. It was reasonably good.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Wed Jun 04, 2014 7:10 am

It's a sweeter wine. My wife enjoys it. Definitely worth the $20.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

patman

Post by patman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:44 am

Sweet ill have to drop the 20 on it,, then go pick up another brew belt, for being 25-30 degrees the last few days here my basement has stayed around 15-18 degrees, i don't want to loose this.. any tips for a first time wine batch, besides the obvious make sure everything is totally clean, and sanitized...

redoubt
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Kirsten & Keely

Post by redoubt » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:51 am

Well worth the $20, IMO. I work part-time at Noble Grape and the Island Mist kits are crazy-popular, especially in the summer, and people love the crap out of them. Just a heads up that you'll only get about 7.5% ABV with it. You can bump it up to about 10.5% by adding a "Mist Booster" which they sell at NG.

Wine kits are super easy and the instructions that come with them are pretty clear. You won't have any problems with it.

Kirsten.

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Wed Jun 04, 2014 11:55 am

patman wrote:Sweet ill have to drop the 20 on it,, then go pick up another brew belt, for being 25-30 degrees the last few days here my basement has stayed around 15-18 degrees, i don't want to loose this.. any tips for a first time wine batch, besides the obvious make sure everything is totally clean, and sanitized...
I haven't really brewed wine before, but I'd check to make sure that the temperature of your basement isn't already in the target fermementation temperature range. If it's anything like ale yeast, you'd be right in the ballpark that you're looking for. The last thing you want to do is spend money on a piece of equipment that will actually make the final product worse!

patman

Post by patman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:14 pm

redoubt wrote:Well worth the $20, IMO. I work part-time at Noble Grape and the Island Mist kits are crazy-popular, especially in the summer, and people love the crap out of them. Just a heads up that you'll only get about 7.5% ABV with it. You can bump it up to about 10.5% by adding a "Mist Booster" which they sell at NG.

Wine kits are super easy and the instructions that come with them are pretty clear. You won't have any problems with it.

Kirsten.
Sweet good to know, and the percentage doesn't really bother me, i'm not a wine drinker personally, but for 20 bucks it's a great way to get my "feet wet" before i attempt a bigger and better kind lol..

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: G

Post by CiderBeerWine » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:11 pm

Wine isn't hard, just follow the instructions. Add the packets at appropriate times and stir.
For $20 that sounds like a great deal.

I am sure it would be a reasonably pleasant summer drink.

If you are just messing around maybe add some sugar to up the % if you want
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”