Pineapple, orange pineapple wine

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
patman
Name: Patrick

Pineapple, orange pineapple wine

Post by patman » Wed Jun 04, 2014 12:12 pm

A friend of mine has just setup a challenge for me and him. To make an orange pineapple wine, and see who can make it better than the other... He has been brewing for over a year, Me since about the end of april early may lol... I have wine yeast here, and some other stuff that i noticed in videos and saw for sale cheap... Anyone have a recipe for a gallon batch? I watched one video and it said to boil 4 large cut up pineapples for 30-60 mins, then strain it... The idea i guess came from eating orange pineapple ice cream..

SO wine heads, anyone have a half decent recipe for this? most of the ones ive found online require stuff i don't have, and i just so happen to have fresh pineapple all cut up, and frozen in my freezer because im a sucker for that stuff. Also trying to not spend any money that i do not need to.

patman

Re: Pineapple, orange pineapple wine

Post by patman » Sat Jun 07, 2014 9:56 am

well i started this last night... 4 fresh pineapples cut up and thrown into a pot. about 1/3rd the water from the 1 gallon jug boiled, (i subsituted a bit of the water for PURE pineapple juice from dole).. all you have to do is bring the water to a boil and let simmer for 25-30 mins, strain into primary, Add 1kg sugar (in this case i used dextrose as its what i had here) stir, then add 2 tsp acid blend, stir well, add 2tsp of yeast nutreient, stir.... then add the rest of your water to bing up to 1 Gallon.... when its between 20-26 drop put in your yeast, Stir, and put a lid on it with or without airlock.. Stir it once a day for 7 days, then move it to your secondary, and allow it to sit until fermentation completely completes, Add a crushed cambden (not sure spelling on that,) and potassioum or sodium bicarbonate (you know that stuff that kills fermentation completely.. Add your clearing agent or let it sit untill clear. up to 6 weeks from the start.

Found the recipe on YouTube, so here's hoping it turns out great ....

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

Post by Juniper Hill » Mon Jun 09, 2014 10:38 am

Make sure to add some pectic enzyme. It's cheap, and you'll get more juice out of your fruit. Enzyme will be denatured by heat, so make sure the fruit has cooled before using.

patman

Post by patman » Mon Jun 09, 2014 11:10 am

well i put it in, but i think did it at the wrong time, BUT i did mash up my pineapples prior to boiling them, so i had quite a bit of juice from them already, its been fermenting pretty wicked the first 2 days, i noticed last night it wasn't doing anything, and then realized that i used a whole pack of wine yeast instead of half, So i boiled bout a cup of water, or 3/4ths a cup, added in some corn sugar, untill it was totally melted and mixed, and now things seem to be back up to where they were, hopeing this doesn't break it lol

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User
Name: G

Post by CiderBeerWine » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:16 pm

If this is a contest then pectic enzyme is a must!

Pectins are extracted when you boil the fruit. They appear very cloudy, which is why wine from boiled fruit is always a little cloudy.
They also convert the pectin into fermentable sugars I believe as Juniper Hill said, so you will turn cloudyness into clear and stronger wine.

Also orange juice is cloudy anyways so pectic enzyme may help that
Beer makes you feel the way you ought to feel without beer

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by CiderBeerWine » Tue Jun 10, 2014 8:17 pm

You should also do a ghetto drank batch of store bought orange juice and pineapple juice and sugar; because it is cheap, easy, and fuck it you never know it may end up being the best of the bunch

patman

Post by patman » Wed Jun 11, 2014 5:28 pm

well i was thinking near he end of clearing and such i could add in some orange zest, and mabye that would take hold, the other option would be to take ou about 1L. place in another jar, and add zest that way.. BUt i do like the idea of the ghetto batch lol

CiderBeerWine
Verified User
Verified User

Post by CiderBeerWine » Wed Jun 11, 2014 8:32 pm

The thing with the zest, is ...doesn't the zest give a bitter taste? You may want to be careful there, a bitter wine doesn't sound particularly appealing

patman

Post by patman » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:15 am

my laptop dies with the instructions, and recipie for this wine, its been sitting probally 3 weeks, ive moved it from the primary, to the secondary, then to another secondary, and back, to rid most of the sediment, it has not been fermenting what so ever the past 10 days, wondering what i would do now? anyone have any idea?

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Wed Jun 25, 2014 6:14 am

Drink it?

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:38 am

If it's fallen clear you may be getting close to bottling, otherwise I'd let it clarify.

Once clear, taste it. See if it needs sweetening. Many fruit wines are better with some sugar additions. I've found 1-2% residual sugar work fairly well, but YMMV. Stabilize with kmeta, sorbate (if adding sugar), and bottle.

Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4

Post by Juniper Hill » Wed Jun 25, 2014 8:40 am

Juniper Hill wrote:If it's fallen clear you may be getting close to bottling, otherwise I'd let it clarify.

Once clear, taste it. See if it needs sweetening. Many fruit wines are better with some sugar additions. I've found 1-2% residual sugar work fairly well, but YMMV. Stabilize with kmeta, sorbate (if adding sugar), and bottle.
I'd then follow Chalmer's advice. :chug:

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”