No Age Sweet Mead

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
Juniper Hill
Award Winner 4
Award Winner 4
Name: Neil

No Age Sweet Mead

Post by Juniper Hill » Fri Sep 26, 2014 9:15 am

Here's a copy of a recipie from the GotMead website. The author is the same as the famous Joe's Ancient Organge Mead. I made this one many years ago, and really liked it. It is pretty sweet, but super tasty. Buckwheat honey is the secret ingredient. It can be purchsed at planet organic or superstore, in their organic section. You can use yeast nutrient instead of Fermax, and wildflower honey instead of clover. Crossman and Whidden or Murray's Apiary both produce great local honey.

1 gallon recipe 68F fermentation temperature

2 lbs 3 oz Unprocessed Clover honey (ok to substitute if
you must)
7 oz Buckwheat honey (do not substitute)
.6t Grape Tannin (needed for taste and clearing)
1/8t Fermax (more will not be better)
1 5g K1V-1116 (must use this yeast)
Balance tap water to make 1 gallon (don't use distilled)
4 Liter Carboy if you have one otherwise use 1 gal

August 8, 2004
No boil, no skim, no sulfite. Dissolve honey in quart of warm water (tap water). Dissolve tannin and 1/8t Fermax in 8 oz warm tap water. Add honey mixture and tannin mixture to carboy and fill to 3 inches from top with cold tap water. Shake well to mix and aerate all ingredients. Must OG = 1.100 Rehydrate K1V-1116 in 4 oz of tepid water for 15mins in dark place according to instructions on packet. Must temperature should be between 68-80F degrees. If so swirl yeast and gently pour yeast in carboy. Install airlock and place in dark place or basement with temperature as close to 68F as possible. Will start bubbles in one hour.
After 2 days add a little honey/water mixture to bring to 2 inches from top
August 15th - SG 1.045 (1 week)
August 22nd - SG 1.020 (2nd week) and still working well - Taste great - Gotta stop here
August 23rd - Racked (all must except lees and approximately 5 oz of liquid) into clean 1 gallon carboy containing 1/8t potassium metabisulfite and 1/4t Potsassium Sorbate. No need to top off since used 4 Liter carboy for primary and it is almost done. -Neil's Edit - I would definitely top up after racking and stablizing - Joe didn't because he found a smaller jug to rack into
August 24th - Already Clearing well
August 26th - can read newsprint already
Finished 3 days early. Wait 3 days if you can but it is one fine mead to drink now while you are waiting for something a bit stronger in Alcohol to age. Enjoy,
Cheers, Joe

P.S. Edited to change Sorbate from 1/2t to 1/4t per manufacturers recommendation on label.
Last edited by Juniper Hill on Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gm-
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jon S

Re: No Age Sweet Mead

Post by gm- » Sun Sep 28, 2014 10:35 pm

This sounds good, will give it a go once I move to my new crib.

Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA

mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner

Re: No Age Sweet Mead

Post by mr x » Mon Sep 29, 2014 9:07 am

Cool, may try this one myself.
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”