Site issues?

A spot to talk website specific issues
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Re: Site issues?

Post by RubberToe » Fri Aug 15, 2014 4:27 pm

Yes, that's it. I didn't realize all email stopped but it seems to be the case. I'll look at the email issues in more detail over the weekend.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

Jayme
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Name: Jayme

Post by Jayme » Fri Aug 15, 2014 10:53 pm

Sweet. It would be great to get it working again!
Certified BJCP Beer Judge
---------------------------------------
Delta Force Brewery - (chuck norris approved)

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Aug 24, 2014 9:04 am

After being banned twice, I was back posting for a bit, but I did have trouble “getting over it”. Mr. X (or someone) is writing rules for “those who don’t know their boundaries” (see a few posts above) but it was him that overstepped the line. I rather suspect he planned to deliver the rules and direct them at me, and I really don’t want to be around for that. I don’t want to be around either, for his next power trip. I see no mention that these rules will apply to Mr. X. and that worries me, and it’s a balance of power concern. I have no wish to be subordinate to Mr. X, especially not for a hobby that is supposed to be enjoyable. I do however believe in people respecting each other on the site, which is why I spoke up in the first place. I couldn’t stand the way Mark was being treated, and wasn’t going to sit idly by.

To my knowledge, no-one has ever been banned from the Brewnosers in the past, and I was banned twice, fuck knows why the first time, my interpretation was it was for speaking up when X was completely disrespecting Mark, and the second time was for letting people know what was going on, that I had been banned, and that X was deleting posts that were disagreeing with him and his actions, and also to give people my email, since you can’t get PMs when you are banned. At least one other Brewnoser was trying to get himself banned in protest of Mr. X’s actions. Rules won’t prevent that happening again, they will just make it easier.

It was awkward for me being at Stillwell yesterday, and for others, and I was stewing about this in the night. Liam asked me about it, but I wasn’t there to make a scene, was just there for the beer, so I didn’t comment.

My suggestion for the site is to put it back how it was. I didn’t like it that the admin backed up X with my second banning and scrambled to disable the PM system before I was allowed back on. In the face of having been banned twice, I found that very off-putting. I suggest there should be no new rules for X to enforce, or at least some reassurance that the rules will be guidelines for respect of other members on the site, and that X will be following these rules also.

I’ve been busy working with the new “Heritage Ales” people and the new brewery, and it looks like I may be becoming involved with that project on the brewing and planning side. I find it very exciting. So if I’m not around on here, let’s just say I’m otherwise occupied. I’ll be up to something beerish and having fun with it somewhere for sure.

Ps. the beer was nice, first time I had a Lambic, if I had had more of them I think I think I might have got a tummy ache though. Nice to see some (lots) of Brewnosers. I was reminded what a good collection of people they are with a common passion. Shame about the site issues.

I’m not thinking that I am better than other people, X, or anyone else. This is how things are from my perspective.

I am hoping that this thread won’t be deleted or blocked and it will lead to some positive discussions (on or off site) that will benefit the site. I’ve said my bit, and don’t think I need to say any more. Thanks for the chance to say what’s on my mind.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Sandy MacNeil

Post by GAM » Sun Aug 24, 2014 10:57 am

Nice to see you posting. I will not "take a side" but I do hope we can continue as we were.

In my talks with others, X is involved but not the only BN involved with the rules.

Blake is a very experienced negotiator and I could strong arm (ply with beer) him to review the "rules" if you would like.

Hope to see you Wednesday.

Sandy

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:16 am

GAM wrote:Nice to see you posting. but I do hope we can continue as we were.

Sandy
^This
I will not "take a side"
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Sun Aug 24, 2014 11:43 am

There's no need to take sides. It's water under the bridge now.

Mod's are here to moderate the forums; it's voluntary and each person is there for a reason. I wasn't online when everything went down, but in the end, X was doing what he thought was right. That's it.

Mark, you were unbanned from the beginning for the first ban, and your second one was totally justified. No one should be using the mass PM to send out a personal message to users. If you had something you wanted to send to multiple users, that's fine, but I don't think every Tom, Dick and Harry needed to read the PM you sent out..we have close to 1000 people on this forum and that's not a PM that everyone should be receiving. I can understand you sending it out to the group of people that you communicate with on a regular basis, or want to keep in touch with, but that's it.

Again, no one is taking sides - there are a lot of people at fault for what went down. Everyone is just trying to move on with it, and learn from it going forward. We've locked the mass PM's (which I think should have been done long ago, but I didn't because I figured we, as a group, could use it responsibly). There are some site rules being worked on, which as I previously mentioned to you, are there for both the moderators, and the users. They aren't going to be ridiculous, just something to make it clear what the rules are, preventing anyone from having to "take sides" in the future. This site is run completely by volunteer work, and in the end, everyone should respect the decisions the moderators make, even if they don't agree with them. They are all taking time out of their day to keep this site running, so that everyone can use it.

As for Stillwell, I'm not sure why you felt it was awkward? I think the group is mature enough to look past any of the drama that happens on the forums and have a normal face-to-face conversation. I think we've all disagreed on things in the past, and despite the arguments that may have happened, we're all adults and we all get along.

CorneliusAlphonse
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1

Post by CorneliusAlphonse » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:06 pm

Glad you enjoyed the lambic. They can cause some gastro distress for sure. Haha
planning: beer for my cousin's wedding
Fermenting: black ipa
Conditioning:
Kegged: barrel barleywine from 2014 - i think i still have this somewhere

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Post by Keith » Sun Aug 24, 2014 12:55 pm

CorneliusAlphonse wrote:Glad you enjoyed the lambic. They can cause some gastro distress for sure. Haha
I'm getting a bottle Monday. My wife will absolutely love me.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi Mark, I'm sorry that seeing a few of us out at the bar made it awkward for you, but you should know when I engaged you and your family in conversation, it was to be friendly and inviting, but it appears that it was taken in the completely opposite way. If you'd rather not converse with any of us again, please let us know, and we will act accordingly.

chalmers
Name: Chris

Post by chalmers » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:10 pm

ps Best of luck with the Wayfarer Society, please let them know my interest into the brewery and society were genuine, as they don't seem to be responding to my queries.

GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Name: Mark

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:18 pm

chalmers wrote:Hi Mark, I'm sorry that seeing a few of us out at the bar made it awkward for you, but you should know when I engaged you and your family in conversation, it was to be friendly and inviting, but it appears that it was taken in the completely opposite way. If you'd rather not converse with any of us again, please let us know, and we will act accordingly.
Not at all Chris. Thanks for chatting.
Cheers.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

rypalmer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ryan

Post by rypalmer » Mon Aug 25, 2014 1:27 pm

Keith wrote:If people don't like the notification have them disable it on their profile by turning this setting "Notify me on new private messages" to no.
Seriously.

Not having email notifications is making it a greatly inconvenient to plan meet-ups. People aren't even aware that these are not on; they don't know to check the forum periodically.

Please re-enable!

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Mon Aug 25, 2014 2:27 pm

rypalmer wrote:
Keith wrote:If people don't like the notification have them disable it on their profile by turning this setting "Notify me on new private messages" to no.
Seriously.

Not having email notifications is making it a greatly inconvenient to plan meet-ups. People aren't even aware that these are not on; they don't know to check the forum periodically.

Please re-enable!
That's not the problem. It's a system problem that is causing repeat emails to a few users. They get the same email every hour.

It will be enabled when the problem is fixed.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

ackes
Award Winner 1
Award Winner 1
Name: Mike

Post by ackes » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:31 pm

Calling all admins

Wasn't sure if this was the best place to post this .... but figured it was better than any other.
'Rhyno' is looking to have either his e-mail address verified (he switched internet providers and was hoping to use the same username) ....... or, for someone to confirm a new account for him so that he can get access back to the forum.

Anyone able to help?
Kegged: House honey wheat, Honey Brown ale.
Fermenting: West Coast IPA
On deck: Mad Elf Clone to age until Winter
In the hole:: NEIPA / Honey Wheat./ Sour season !
Kegged and aging:: RIS

Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner

Post by Jimmy » Thu Feb 07, 2019 11:25 pm

His sgrhyno account should be active now.

sgrhyno
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Shaun Rhyno

Post by sgrhyno » Fri Feb 08, 2019 8:34 am

Jimmy wrote:His sgrhyno account should be active now.
Thanks Jimmy!! Good to be back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Sat May 04, 2019 10:23 am

Had a mention at MW&B that there has been "people" trying to get accounts with no reply.

S

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Sat May 04, 2019 10:35 am

Yeah I have to manually verify new accounts due to spam. Trying to catch up but there's a backlog. :(

I might write a script for it this weekend.

Sent from the brew timer

Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

GAM
Verified User
Verified User

Post by GAM » Sat May 04, 2019 11:07 am

No pressure it was mentioned to me last night.

See you tonight.

S

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13

Post by RubberToe » Sat May 04, 2019 11:15 am

Looking forward to it, yell if you see me. Cheers.

Sent from the brew timer

Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:

Return to “Site Discussion”