Simcoe
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Simcoe
I'm doing up an ipa in the 1068 range. 60 or so IBU. It's going to be some combination of falconers flight and cascade. I have 2 oz of simcoe that I was going to use for dry hop. Do you think it would be better to use the simcoe in a steep addition or go with the dry hop as planned?
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: Simcoe
where are your other additions? amounts? recipe? To me 60 IBU in a 1.068 beer is a bit on the tame side.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Simcoe
Just changed it around a little. 1066 OG. 40 IBU from FWH, 10 IBU at 5 min, 2 IBU at 1 min, and about 23 IBU from a 20 min steep. Around 75 total IBU. So it's the Simcoe as a steep or as dry hop. I'm going to steep and dry hop either way just wondering where the Simcoe would be best utilize.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Simcoe
I made a nice dry hop IPA with 2 oz Simcoe in a double batch. It was very nice but only lightly dry hopped, so I think 2oz in a single batch would be nice. You'd get the most benefit from your 2 oz, I think, by dry hopping with it.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: Simcoe
Cool thanks
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Simcoe
Welcome. Derek generously said he liked that Simcoe dry hopped beer here: http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... 75#p108449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;Broob wrote:Cool thanks
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 51 guests