Thanks!
Who do you order hops from?
- darciandjenn
- Verified User

- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
- Location: Halifax
Who do you order hops from?
Hello! For those of you who order hops, who do you go through? I was looking at HopsDirect but their shipping is pretty expensive (though I have no basis of reference).
Thanks!
Thanks!
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I just get mine from everwood
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Who do you order hops from?
More hops you buy the lower shipping per ounce is. However check with Dave @ everwoodavebrewshop.com he has a nice selection and prices are competitive. 
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
redoubt
- Award Winner 1

- Posts: 869
- Joined: Sat Oct 05, 2013 1:30 pm
- Name: Kirsten & Keely
- Location: Cambridge
Re: Who do you order hops from?
All depends what quantities, varieties, etc. you're looking for. Noble Grape (at least the Coldbrook location and I think some of the other locations?) have some varieties, but can get a bit pricey. Not bad if you just need small amounts, but it can add up quickly. Dave at Everwood has hops. OBK has hops. Sometimes we as a group do a group buy and that's a good way to get hops... I know this doesn't peg any one option down, but hopefully gives you a better idea where to look. 
-Keely.
-Keely.
- GuingesRock
- Award Winner 20+

- Posts: 5190
- Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
- Name: Mark
- Location: Wolfville, NS
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I always buy Hop Union nitrogen sealed hops from Toronto Brewing. I had a bad experience with hops that were freshly ordered online but were off. Took me ages to figure out the problem. I'll only use hop union factory sealed hops from now on. Still makes my blood boil when I think about that.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server
- jacinthebox
- Award Winner 16

- Posts: 3047
- Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
- Name: Justin
- Location: Hubley
- Contact:
Re: Who do you order hops from?
Id like to try these...may see if eric wants to split on a pound of each
New Zealand Waimea
Usage: Dual Purpose Aroma: Intense tangelo and citrus fruit with subtle pine characteristics
German Hull Melon
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct fruit characteristics including honeydew melon and strawberry flavors
Australian Galaxy
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct citrus, peach and passion fruit flavors
New Zealand Waimea
Usage: Dual Purpose Aroma: Intense tangelo and citrus fruit with subtle pine characteristics
German Hull Melon
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct fruit characteristics including honeydew melon and strawberry flavors
Australian Galaxy
Usage: Aroma Aroma: Distinct citrus, peach and passion fruit flavors
Brathair Brewing
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
Brew Hard...Stay Humble
-
gm-
- Verified User

- Posts: 1145
- Joined: Mon Jan 07, 2013 2:25 pm
- Name: Jon S
- Location: Reykjavik, Iceland
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I've ordered bunch from Hops direct, very fresh, straight from their farm. They have pretty good sales 3-5x a year that negates their high shipping costs. I've also bought #s from Dave at everwood with good results.
Fermenting: Oud bruin/Vienna Pekko SMaSH
On tap: Nelson dry hopped Berliner/ Scottish Heavy 70-/ NE IPA
- McGruff
- Registered User

- Posts: 629
- Joined: Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:46 am
- Name: Chris Storey
- Location: Cavan, Ontario
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I too had a bad experience online with hops. These were not in the original packaging and not even vacuum sealed when I got them. I didn't use them cause they smelled funny. You wonder how they were stored, or even how old they were. I ordered 16 ozs. from Toronto Brewing which were in the original packaging and reasonably priced.
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I get mine from Dave when I know ahead of time and can meet him, or from NG when I don't. I also got some online from beergrains.com recently, because I had a gift certificate from a competition this summer. The prices were comparable to NG (but not Dave), and they had a fairly wide selection. However, they also had shipping on theirs, so I probably wouldn't order from them again unless I was looking for something very specific that wasn't available locally. They were nicely vacuum sealed though, and smelled like hops.
- Tony L
- Award Winner 10

- Posts: 1848
- Joined: Fri Jul 15, 2011 8:04 pm
- Location: Heart's Delight, NL
Re: Who do you order hops from?
My last hop order was from Toronto Brewing and they were reasonably priced and the hops were great. Other than that I order from Hops Direct. Very pleased with them also.
- berley
- Award Winner 5

- Posts: 386
- Joined: Fri Mar 09, 2012 9:04 am
- Name: Shawn
- Location: Fredericton
- Contact:
Re: Who do you order hops from?
I've ordered from Yakima Valley Hops several times, with great experiences each time. I have an order of Galaxy, Mosaic, Azacca and Equinox coming now, so they obviously often have hard-to-find varieties... they go fast though, so you have to jump on the chance.
Co-author of the Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca
http://meekbrewingco.blogspot.ca
- darciandjenn
- Verified User

- Posts: 365
- Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
- Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
- Location: Halifax
Re: Who do you order hops from?
Thanks all, lots of great tips here!
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests