Beer Names

A spot to talk general homebrew
User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Beer Names

Post by jacinthebox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:35 am

I read it wrong...twice lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:34 pm

I don't get it, are you guys not seeing the d? I think I've discovered a test for colour blindness. :)
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:43 pm

oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Broob » Wed Jan 21, 2015 1:58 pm

Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:00 pm

Broob wrote:
Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Not that there's anything wrong with that.
That's right.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:10 pm

Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hence forth It shall be known as that! It's going to be a hit. :spilly:

I'm just mashing it in.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: Beer Names

Post by jacinthebox » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:41 pm

GuingesRock wrote:I don't get it, are you guys not seeing the d? :)


I think you may see the "D" too much lol
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:49 pm

GuingesRock wrote:
Keith wrote:oh we see it, but it's darker than the other letters and looks like it's GuingeRock's Keg Conditioned Gay Day Blond Ale. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hence forth It shall be known as that! It's going to be a hit. :spilly:

I'm just mashing it in.
:delete:
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sat Jan 24, 2015 12:15 pm

BeerLabel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:19 am

Researched two new styles (new to me) yesterday and designed a couple of beers to brew. Spent the best part of the day on the couch with books and a laptop.

I can't understand why the cali common style guidelines want the colour to be so dark, when the colour of the normal grain bill isn't. Why add dark grains just for colour? Oh well, never mind, go with the flow I suppose.

I had to put a little crystal in both of these :(
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:50 am

Hope your doing a big dipa for that barley wine and letting it sit in the keg for a year untouched.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:53 am

I'm going to bottle it and leave it in the basement. Some of it might last out the year, depends how drinkable it is :)

Like a DIPA but has DME (28%) instead of dextrose, to augment the grain bill and get the OG up.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:58 am

Use a larger grain build.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:50 am

I know, but in Ray Daniels' book (Designing Great Beers), he analyzes recipes of barley wines that made it to the 2nd round of the NHC and 59% of them used some extract. There is a discussion in his Barleywine chapter.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:12 am

....but, I think you might be right. I'll have another look at it. Thanks.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:19 am

Well 41% of then had it right. I don't think extract is your thing and have the skill set not to using it.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:45 am

I can do it! 39lbs of grain for 10 gal batch, OG 1.1. Full volume mash volume 19 gal (I have a 20 gal mash pot). I think the 59% were using extract because their systems wouldn't handle that size mash.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 4014
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 4:50 pm
Name: Brian
Location: Sprybeeria

Re: Beer Names

Post by LiverDance » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:50 am

I use extract in all my barelywines. Keith extract has nothing to do with your skills as a brewer, like all other ingredients it has it's place and is very useful.
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:55 am

Nothing wrong with using extract to bump up the OG. Not sure what's an acceptable percentage, but I'm thinking if I did a 1.1 beer, I'd likely do ~1.075 and top up with extract to get to 1.1.

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Keith » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Brian, I've always noticed a odd flavor when using extract that I didn't get once I moved to all grain. Possibly cause I was using 100%?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by Jimmy » Sun Jan 25, 2015 1:53 pm

Keith wrote:Brian, I've always noticed a odd flavor when using extract that I didn't get once I moved to all grain. Possibly cause I was using 100%?
That's right.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Feb 22, 2015 11:00 am

BeerLabel.jpg
Pic by British fashion photographer Tim Walker. He does some cool stuff: http://timwalkerphotography.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

aidenwatson
Registered User
Registered User
Posts: 5
Joined: Tue Jan 27, 2015 2:21 am
Name: aiden watson

Re: Beer Names

Post by aidenwatson » Tue Feb 24, 2015 8:15 am

I must say it's a great photo....

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Mar 15, 2015 4:24 pm

BeerLabel.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: Beer Names

Post by GuingesRock » Tue Mar 17, 2015 7:55 pm

Brewing tomorrow.
Black Diamond.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Majestic-12 [Bot] and 5 guests