carbonation question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

carbonation question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:13 pm

I bottled a batch of Belgian blonde (2 weeks ago tomorrow) and I cracked one last night after I ran out of patience. It was carbonated... so well that it basically foamed up and I lost a lot of beer.

It was sitting at room temperature, give or take, depending on the time of day.

Is this because I didn't cool it long enough before opening or did I over carbonate it?

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: carbonation question

Post by GAM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:16 pm

Halifax_Jeff wrote:Is this because I didn't cool it long enough before opening or did I over carbonate it?
Likley. Pop one in the fridge and see if it is better. Did you take FG and add the right amount to primer?

S

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: carbonation question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:19 pm

I did not.. I just used the amount that Dave gave me. I wasn't aware that you could adjust the primer based on FG.

Thanks for the tip, I'll definitely look into that next time! For now I'll let a few get really cold before I open another :cheers:

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: carbonation question

Post by GAM » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:23 pm

You adjust for the volume ane amount of carcination you want.

The FG tells you the beer has little sugars left to ferment.

S

User avatar
mumblecrunch
Award Winner 2
Award Winner 2
Posts: 1206
Joined: Sun Oct 06, 2013 7:01 pm
Name: Aaron
Location: Halifax

Re: carbonation question

Post by mumblecrunch » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:26 pm

If it hasn't been in the bottle for a good three weeks (and even if it has) I find it's always a good idea to chill it for at least 4-6 hours before opening one to give the beer a chance to absorb as much CO2 as possible.

It's also possible, of course, that you've overcarbed it a touch. I overcarbed a couple of batches by not accounting for appropriate losses to trub and dry hopping and now I always measure my volume and then calculate my corn sugar based on that measurement. The temperature the wort was primarily fermented at makes a difference too, but moreso for lagers than ales.
Halifax_Jeff wrote:I did not.. I just used the amount that Dave gave me. I wasn't aware that you could adjust the primer based on FG.
I don't think you generally adjust based on FG, but you certainly check your FG to see that it's somewhere around what it was supposed to be (or you've got a reasonable explanation for why it isn't) and definitely you make sure your FG is stable for a few days before you bottle. If your beer hasn't fermented out completely you're going to get more action off the bottle conditioning process because there's still fairly active yeast kicking around.

Also, I've had unexplained "gusher" bottles in batches that behaved completely differently than the other 40 or 50 bottles. No idea why, but it does happen sometimes.

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: carbonation question

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:31 pm

Also, I've had unexplained "gusher" bottles in batches that behaved completely differently than the other 40 or 50 bottles. No idea why, but it does happen sometimes.
I'm pretty sure "Gushers" are due to an infection. I've had a couple of these as well and, in addition to being a total mess (beer ALL over the kitchen!), the beer that I managed to salvage from these bottles was thin and terrible. I threw away the offending bottles and haven't had a problem since.

User avatar
Halifax_Jeff
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 553
Joined: Thu Dec 11, 2014 1:12 pm
Name: Jeff
Location: Beaver Bank

Re: carbonation question

Post by Halifax_Jeff » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:35 pm

darciandjenn wrote:
Also, I've had unexplained "gusher" bottles in batches that behaved completely differently than the other 40 or 50 bottles. No idea why, but it does happen sometimes.
I'm pretty sure "Gushers" are due to an infection. I've had a couple of these as well and, in addition to being a total mess (beer ALL over the kitchen!), the beer that I managed to salvage from these bottles was thin and terrible. I threw away the offending bottles and haven't had a problem since.
Infection.. fingers crossed it isn't but I have the bottle set aside if that is the case. If it happens again when I open one tonight I'll snap a pic. It doesn't gush out of the bottle... more so a very bad pour.. that tastes great.

User avatar
darciandjenn
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 365
Joined: Sun Jan 12, 2014 1:05 pm
Name: Jennifer & Darci Shaw
Location: Halifax

Re: carbonation question

Post by darciandjenn » Fri Apr 10, 2015 3:39 pm

Probably not an infection then. :cheers2:

User avatar
dean2k
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1172
Joined: Mon Mar 12, 2012 4:08 pm
Name: deano
Location: Sackville, NB

Re: carbonation question

Post by dean2k » Fri Apr 10, 2015 4:17 pm

Like mumblecrunch, I've also had the random 1 bottle gusher or 2 out of an entire batch and the remaining beer that didn't go down the sink was not infected. I can't prove it, but I often wonder if enough yeast or dry-hop material made it into those particular bottle and the priming sugars went nuts with it.
.............................................

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests