US05 @ High Temps
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
US05 @ High Temps
I can usually keep my fermentation temps between 18-20 C in my basement during summer, but since starting to run a dehumidifier + the hot weather over the weekend, my ferm temps have skyrocketed. One batch was at 27C for the last 2 days (IPA). Another at 25C (porter). This is definitely not a good thing, since it is way out of the optimal range for the yeast.
This has never happened to me, so I'm wondering what to expect. Will the beer be drinkable? Off flavors? Hot alcohol taste?
Thoughts?
This has never happened to me, so I'm wondering what to expect. Will the beer be drinkable? Off flavors? Hot alcohol taste?
Thoughts?
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I'm thinking this will speed up my plans on building a ferm chamber.
- Broob
- Verified User

- Posts: 625
- Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
- Name: Steve M
- Location: Dartmouth, NS
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I would say there could be some more esters. For the IPA an aggressive dry hopping could hide a lot of it. For the porter, some esters might be nice - taste more like an English yeast.
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I'm planning to dry hop with 2 oz. I guess I'll wait to see what happens and take it as a learning experience. 
- BBrianBoogie
- Verified User

- Posts: 794
- Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm
- Location: Halifax
Re: US05 @ High Temps
Fusel alcohol will likely be your biggest problem from those sorts of temperatures.
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I just had a cream Ale get up to 23 and I'm nervous with us-05
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- amartin
- Award Winner 8

- Posts: 1765
- Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I've always heard that it's a pretty forgiving yeast for temperatures, but I'm not too familiar with it myself. Did they start off at high temperatures, or just climb up over a few days?
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I started mine at 20 and it went for a couple of days at 20-21 before we went camping. My wife shut off the power to the shed before we left (where my ferm chamber is) and it was at 27 the day we got home (probably the max it got to).
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- BBrianBoogie
- Verified User

- Posts: 794
- Joined: Thu Oct 21, 2010 8:21 pm
- Location: Halifax
Re: US05 @ High Temps
What Andrew is alluding to is important. Those temperatures should be avoided, but are certainly more forgiving if active fermentation has subsided.
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
Re: US05 @ High Temps
It fermented at 27 on day 2 and 3. It was very active. Pretty sure this one might be for the dogs. But I'll have to wait and see.
-
GasMD30
- Verified User

- Posts: 401
- Joined: Wed Apr 02, 2014 6:13 pm
- Name: Josh
Re: US05 @ High Temps
Lagering may help?
Tuckamore, Vancouver, BC
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
Primary:
Bottled:
In the Fridge: Hawaiian IPA
Next Up:
In the Bank: Honey Blonde Bombshell, Hawaiian IPA, Mild Ale
Researching: Hard Cider
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I've had this happen once. I bottled it and let it sit in my basement for about 4 weeks. It wasn't ideal, of course, but it became drinkable and saved me from dumping the batch.
Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk
Sent from my Amaze 4G using Tapatalk
- jtmwhyte
- Verified User

- Posts: 1934
- Joined: Thu Feb 16, 2012 8:21 pm
- Name: Trevor Whyte
Re: US05 @ High Temps
I kegged my 10 gallons yesterday. I'm sugar priming one and force carbing the other. Will post the results.
Nova Prime Taproom
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
Tap 1: Festa Brew Scotch Ale
Tap 2:
"Fill with mingled cream and amber,
I will drain that glass again.
Such hilarious visions clamber
Through the chamber of my brain -
Quaintest thoughts - queerist fancies
Come to life and fade away;
What care I how time advances?
I am drinking ale today." ~ Poe
- mstead
- Verified User

- Posts: 215
- Joined: Tue Oct 02, 2012 3:51 pm
- Name: Mike Stead
- Location: Enfield, NS
Re: US05 @ High Temps
A long overdue update... the beer turned out fine. I ended up leaving the beer in the carboys longer than usual -- 3.5 weeks. I didn't get the hop character I was after for the ipa but it is still decent. The porter is also decent. I did notice that something is off with both beer but I don't really have the knowledge / experience to pin point. Most people who have tried it like it so that works for me. US05 is definitely very forgiving.
Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk
- Albert
- Verified User

- Posts: 81
- Joined: Fri Feb 06, 2015 9:18 pm
- Name: Al.M.
- Location: NB
Re: US05 @ High Temps
Left 2 Carboys of ESB in a closet this Summer temps climbed to 24-25. One had s-04 and one had s-05. S-05 was the best eSB I've ever had. S-04 went in the compost.
on Tap
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...
Brown
on Deck
IPA
...
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests