Bought a new kit, following the directions I topped up the water in primary with cold water.
I added about 3 litres to primary from a bottle of 'spring water' I got from Sobeys. The bottle does say it has been ozonated and I was curious to see what that meant, when much to my horror it appears that it could be bad for this batch...
It's a 6 gallon batch, have I potentially ruined this batch of brew?
Ozonated spring water.
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
-
chalmers
- Moderator

- Posts: 5604
- Joined: Thu Sep 23, 2010 4:17 pm
- Name: Chris
- Location: Halifax / On The Road Again
- Contact:
Re: Ozonated spring water.
Can you expand on what Ozonated means to you?maglorski wrote:Bought a new kit, following the directions I topped up the water in primary with cold water.
I added about 3 litres to primary from a bottle of 'spring water' I got from Sobeys. The bottle does say it has been ozonated and I was curious to see what that meant, when much to my horror it appears that it could be bad for this batch...
It's a 6 gallon batch, have I potentially ruined this batch of brew?
From Health Canada:
Just an FYI that the oxygen dissolution factor is not high, so it will have left the water a while ago. The act of pouring the water into the primary would have aerated it more.http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/fn-an/securit/facts-faits/faqs_bottle_water-eau_embouteillee-eng.php#a9 wrote:Ozone may be added to spring or mineral water during the bottling process as a disinfectant to inhibit the growth of harmful microorganisms. Ozone is also effective in removing objectionable odours and flavours because it breaks down into oxygen which improves taste and other qualities.
Now, the spring water might have had some minerals in it that may affect flavour, but I don't imagine it will be significant.
Co-author of Atlantic Canada Beer Blog
- Jimmy
- Site Admin Award Winner

- Posts: 6984
- Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
- Location: Halifax, NS
Re: Ozonated spring water.
As chalmers said, I don't think you'll have an issue.
Being ozonated shouldn't affect the beer. The mineral composition would be the only concern (and that would likely be fine as well).
I've attached the water report that I requested from Big 8 a couple of years ago - not sure how similar it is now.
Being ozonated shouldn't affect the beer. The mineral composition would be the only concern (and that would likely be fine as well).
I've attached the water report that I requested from Big 8 a couple of years ago - not sure how similar it is now.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- Buccaneer
- Verified User

- Posts: 518
- Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2014 4:50 pm
- Name: Mike Digdon
- Location: Hammonds Plains
Re: Ozonated spring water.
Here's the Big 8 analysis from last year.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
- maglorski
- Verified User

- Posts: 116
- Joined: Tue Jun 23, 2015 9:00 am
- Name: Mike
- Location: Dartmouth
Re: Ozonated spring water.
Thanks to all! You've allayed my concerns.
I'm not quite at the point where I can interpret the figures from a water quality report.
Based on the most recent report - is there anything I need to be aware of?
I'm not quite at the point where I can interpret the figures from a water quality report.
Based on the most recent report - is there anything I need to be aware of?
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 12 guests