My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by amartin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:04 am

My Wyeast 1272 that I bought in April 2012 has finally had it. I skimmed off of my Hoptoberfest IPA, and I think I must have gotten too much hops and not enough yeast. I started it on a stir plate yesterday morning before brewing, and it wasn't ready to pitch, so I had to get some US05 for it. It's still not going strong now. I can smell some CO2 in the starter, so there's something there, but I don't think it's strong enough to save and repitch later. I lost count, but I think I got something like 40 something batches out of it, including the IPA I brought to Hoptoberfest and the last two exchange beers (rakau and maris otter SMaSH, and brown rye beer), and a bronze medal winning American wheat beer. It's been a good run.

On the plus side, now I can try a new American ale yeast, or possibly a German one.

User avatar
Jimmy
Site Admin Award Winner
Site Admin Award Winner
Posts: 6984
Joined: Wed Sep 22, 2010 6:35 pm
Location: Halifax, NS

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by Jimmy » Sun Oct 25, 2015 10:12 am

RIP American Ale Yeast. You will be missed dearly.

User avatar
mr x
Mod Award Winner
Mod Award Winner
Posts: 13764
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 5:30 pm
Location: Halifax/New Glasgow

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by mr x » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:34 am

Good run, well done!
At Alexander Keith's we follow the recipes first developed by the great brewmaster to the absolute letter. :wtf:

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by RubberToe » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:22 pm

RIP, sorry for your loss. :cheers2:
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by GuingesRock » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:24 pm

That's good going. A top cropping success story.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by amartin » Sun Oct 25, 2015 12:28 pm

Top cropping worked well for this, but for the next while I'm going to be trying Rob's method, where when you make a starter for a beer you just make some extra, put it in a jar and then use it to start the next one. It is nice not having to open the lid to potential contaminants, especially with the fruit flies this year.

User avatar
sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
Name: jamie
Location: Calgary

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by sleepyjamie » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:37 pm

amartin wrote:Top cropping worked well for this, but for the next while I'm going to be trying Rob's method, where when you make a starter for a beer you just make some extra, put it in a jar and then use it to start the next one. It is nice not having to open the lid to potential contaminants, especially with the fruit flies this year.
Rob what is this method?
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by Keith » Sun Oct 25, 2015 11:14 pm

sleepyjamie wrote:
amartin wrote:Top cropping worked well for this, but for the next while I'm going to be trying Rob's method, where when you make a starter for a beer you just make some extra, put it in a jar and then use it to start the next one. It is nice not having to open the lid to potential contaminants, especially with the fruit flies this year.
Rob what is this method?
Make more than you need from the starter, then build the extra back up instead of top cropping.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

User avatar
sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Posts: 2482
Joined: Sun Jun 12, 2011 7:05 pm
Name: jamie
Location: Calgary

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by sleepyjamie » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:15 am

Do you guys have any more specifics. e.g. measurements, process, techniques, etc...
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

User avatar
amartin
Award Winner 8
Award Winner 8
Posts: 1765
Joined: Fri May 20, 2011 12:49 pm
Location: Hammonds Plains

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by amartin » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:33 am

I make most of my starters to an OG of 36, and then make an extra half litre. After running for a day or two or however long on the stir plate, I swirl it all up, pour a half litre into an old jam jar to put in the fridge, and pitch the rest.

User avatar
Broob
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 625
Joined: Wed May 01, 2013 11:48 pm
Name: Steve M
Location: Dartmouth, NS

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by Broob » Mon Oct 26, 2015 10:54 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8b3mftcV0dY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Red Five Brewery
Anchorhead Steam
Boba Fest
Carbonate ChAmber Ale
Chewbocka
Darklighter Stout
Episode V - ESB
Hoth 45
Ryewalker IPA

User avatar
RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Posts: 3745
Joined: Mon Mar 14, 2011 9:47 am
Name: Rob
Location: Dartmouth
Contact:

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by RubberToe » Mon Oct 26, 2015 11:12 am

sleepyjamie wrote:
amartin wrote:Top cropping worked well for this, but for the next while I'm going to be trying Rob's method, where when you make a starter for a beer you just make some extra, put it in a jar and then use it to start the next one. It is nice not having to open the lid to potential contaminants, especially with the fruit flies this year.
Rob what is this method?

I try to do the math so I can save 1L in a mason jar. For example lets say Beersmith says I need to pitch 200 billion cells. For arguments sake lets say that I'll have 300 with a 3L starter. Take away 1/3 of 300B and you're left with the 200 to pitch, save 100. I fill a mason jar to the top (smaller amount of oxygen) and put it into a cold fridge. Also when I pour this amount off it's right after pulling it form the stir plate and the yeast is still in suspension.

When I make my next starter the saved in mason jar yeast has crashed right out. I flame the top, decant most of the starter wort, swirl it up, and pitch into new starter thus repeating the process.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

User avatar
MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 878
Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2015 4:55 pm
Name: Mitchell Kehoe
Location: Okanagan Valley, BC

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by MitchK » Mon Oct 26, 2015 3:43 pm

How long can a partial starter like that stay in the fridge before it can't be revived with fresh wort on a stirplate? I'm trying to determine if I brew enough (especially using the same varieties) to use that method.

Basically I'm trying to do the math if this harvesting/yeast bank stuff would actually save me enough money to be worth buying a flask and a stirplate over or if I should just be throwing packets/vials into my wort.

User avatar
GuingesRock
Award Winner 20+
Award Winner 20+
Posts: 5190
Joined: Wed May 29, 2013 2:26 pm
Name: Mark
Location: Wolfville, NS

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by GuingesRock » Wed Nov 04, 2015 10:40 pm

This looks like a good idea. Jared Carleburg has a starter going and posted a picture on Twitter. He has a big stir plate under there.
CS7vALdVAAAEBNG.jpg large.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
-Mark
2nd place, Canadian Brewer of the Year, 2015
101 awards won for beers designed and brewed.
Cicerone Program - Certified Beer Server

User avatar
jacinthebox
Award Winner 16
Award Winner 16
Posts: 3047
Joined: Tue Oct 16, 2012 12:44 pm
Name: Justin
Location: Hubley
Contact:

Re: My American ale yeast April 2012 - October 2015

Post by jacinthebox » Thu Nov 05, 2015 8:20 am

That's a big stir plate
Brathair Brewing



Brew Hard...Stay Humble

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests