Stout question

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Stout question

Post by Bowserm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:57 pm

Hey guys,

I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?

User avatar
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Posts: 6479
Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
Name: Keith
Location: Lower Sackville, NS

Re: Stout question

Post by Keith » Sun Dec 13, 2015 9:11 pm

I wouldn't sub for one another. Different malts completely. Any guys around ya able to spare some grain?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Stout question

Post by Bowserm » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:06 pm

I haven't asked anyone yet. Figured I would see if I could substitute first.

RossBee
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 551
Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
Name: Steffen Rosswog
Location: Baie Verte, NB

Re: Stout question

Post by RossBee » Sun Dec 13, 2015 10:46 pm

Bowserm wrote:Hey guys,

I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?

Sitting on about 30 lbs here, more than welcome to some.
Why brew beer I can buy?

User avatar
Ladd
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 245
Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm
Name: Matt
Location: Charlottetown, PEI

Re: Stout question

Post by Ladd » Mon Dec 14, 2015 12:05 am

Black patent is much more acrid than the chocolate malts. I'd definitely borrow if you can. If you have to sub, don't go oz for oz, use just enough black patent to get your color.
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Stout question

Post by Bowserm » Mon Dec 14, 2015 2:40 pm

I ended up using the black malt, but used less than the chocolate. I did try to oven bake some 2-row but my house ended up smokey at 6:45 this morning. Probably not a good way to start the day trying to get 3 kids fed and lunches made for the day.

User avatar
Steeveo
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 101
Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:52 am
Location: Truro

Re: Stout question

Post by Steeveo » Tue Dec 15, 2015 9:14 am

Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.

Bowserm
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 246
Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
Name: Mark Bowser
Location: Truro

Re: Stout question

Post by Bowserm » Tue Dec 15, 2015 2:20 pm

Steeveo wrote:Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.
Thanks Steve, but It's okay, I've learned a valuable lesson from this. Be prepared.

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests