Hey guys,
I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?
Stout question
-
Bowserm
- Verified User

- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
- Name: Mark Bowser
- Location: Truro
- Keith
- Award Winner 6

- Posts: 6479
- Joined: Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:55 pm
- Name: Keith
- Location: Lower Sackville, NS
Re: Stout question
I wouldn't sub for one another. Different malts completely. Any guys around ya able to spare some grain?
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House

-
Bowserm
- Verified User

- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
- Name: Mark Bowser
- Location: Truro
Re: Stout question
I haven't asked anyone yet. Figured I would see if I could substitute first.
-
RossBee
- Verified User

- Posts: 551
- Joined: Mon Mar 24, 2014 9:36 pm
- Name: Steffen Rosswog
- Location: Baie Verte, NB
Re: Stout question
Bowserm wrote:Hey guys,
I am doing my RIS tomorrow and I realized that I thought I had chocolate malt, but its actually black patent malt. Can I substitute the chocolate with the black patent. Reading on some forums they are completely different, but how much I different are they really?
Sitting on about 30 lbs here, more than welcome to some.
Why brew beer I can buy?
- Ladd
- Verified User

- Posts: 245
- Joined: Wed Sep 05, 2012 5:54 pm
- Name: Matt
- Location: Charlottetown, PEI
Re: Stout question
Black patent is much more acrid than the chocolate malts. I'd definitely borrow if you can. If you have to sub, don't go oz for oz, use just enough black patent to get your color.
"If you want to make wine all you have to do is tread a few grapes. Try treading some barley and all you'll get is sore feet" - Dr. Charles Bamforth
-
Bowserm
- Verified User

- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
- Name: Mark Bowser
- Location: Truro
Re: Stout question
I ended up using the black malt, but used less than the chocolate. I did try to oven bake some 2-row but my house ended up smokey at 6:45 this morning. Probably not a good way to start the day trying to get 3 kids fed and lunches made for the day.
- Steeveo
- Verified User

- Posts: 101
- Joined: Tue Mar 11, 2014 3:52 am
- Location: Truro
Re: Stout question
Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.
-
Bowserm
- Verified User

- Posts: 246
- Joined: Tue Jul 08, 2014 9:13 pm
- Name: Mark Bowser
- Location: Truro
Re: Stout question
Thanks Steve, but It's okay, I've learned a valuable lesson from this. Be prepared.Steeveo wrote:Mark I wish I had seen this earlier. I got a bunch of chocolate here.......sorry.
Who is online
Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 29 guests