HDPE Induction Tanks

A spot to talk general homebrew
Post Reply
Highland Brewer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 pm
Name: Drew
Location: North of Smokey

HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by Highland Brewer » Mon Feb 01, 2016 5:41 pm

Just wondering if any brenosers have repurposed high density polyethylene (HDPE) induction tanks into conical fermentors?

User avatar
Keggermeister
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 1143
Joined: Fri Sep 24, 2010 6:50 pm

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by Keggermeister » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:26 pm

Tagged for interest.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 972
Joined: Wed Jan 12, 2011 2:44 pm
Name: Jason Loxton
Location: sydney ns

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by jason.loxton » Mon Feb 01, 2016 7:50 pm

At least a couple of Brewnosers have them. Dave from Everwood Ave does, as does Ottiscan.

See here:

http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... al#p110297" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

ottiscan
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
Name: Lew
Location: Cole Hbr.

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by ottiscan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:40 am

I've been using a 15 gallon induction tank for a few years now. It's placed in a full sized all-fridge with a SCT temp controller. Works perfect. I, and my brewing partner, brew 10 gallon batches in the 15 gallon tank. We just bought a 25 gallon kettle (thanks Dave, it's awesome) and brew 10 gallon no-sparge batches, the latest being a DIPA which the pot handled easily.

I used to dump the trub once heavy ferment ended but don't usually dump the trub now.
I top crop yeast from the top, particularly when I start a ferment with live packages. It makes great beer, I've had no problems whatsoever. I'm waiting for Dave to put a bottling port with a rotating arm in his, he doesn't seem to want to use his conical as the guinea pig though.

I only wash the tank with soft brushes/clothes to avoid abrasing the tank walls. It works great, if it were lost or stolen I'd buy another one in a heartbeat.

If you are looking into buying one I would advise that you find one with the threads molded into the top of the conical, there are some with a plastic ring with the thread on it that is screwed to the top. You can't easily get an airtight seal with those. I use a rubber washer under the lid and can get an airtight seal for feremnt. Obiously you aren't going to carbonate in it but it can be oxygen free for ferment.
Please let me know if you have any questions.

Here's a picture of it. http://www.brewnosers.org/forums/viewto ... =41&t=6204" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lew

Highland Brewer
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 127
Joined: Tue Nov 18, 2014 11:17 pm
Name: Drew
Location: North of Smokey

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by Highland Brewer » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:37 pm

Awesome info. Mucho Gracias. Look forward to getting my pair delivered.

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by GAM » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:34 pm

What did the assembled tank cost?

S

ottiscan
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:24 am
Name: Lew
Location: Cole Hbr.

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by ottiscan » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:57 pm

Hi Sandy,

The tank cost from the supplier was only $112 or so. The freight from Fredricton brought it up to around $200.

I bought a pvc vavle and fittings from Northeast Equipment for ~20 bucks. So to answer question, less than $250 dollars.

Lew

User avatar
GAM
Verified User
Verified User
Posts: 5429
Joined: Wed May 18, 2011 2:50 pm
Name: Sandy MacNeil
Location: North End HFX

Re: HDPE Induction Tanks

Post by GAM » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:19 pm

Thanks.

S

Post Reply

Return to “General Homebrew Discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 3 guests