Speidel 120L Cooling - Suggestions

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Keith

Speidel 120L Cooling - Suggestions

Post by Keith » Tue May 17, 2016 8:03 pm

Well I've been thinking of how I want to do this but still on the fence on how I want to approach this. Here is what I have so far and overall I'm going to be cooling this with water\glycol.

Want:
I was wanting to find a stainless rod with a cooling coil it in that I could connect to the lid and submerse into the unit and hook my chiller up to. something easy to clean.

Have:
120 Liter Speidel
Old Pepsi Cooling unit
cheap 300 gpm pump

Any suggestions on how to get started? or any suggestions on other alternatives to cool? I've thought about a herms coil and also a insulated wrap. I just want something easy to clean and maintain.
Brewer, Owner & Operator @ Ol' Biddy's Brew House
:cheers2:

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Re: Speidel 120L Cooling - Suggestions

Post by ivorm » Tue May 17, 2016 8:38 pm

How does the pepsi cooling unit work?

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mike E.

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue May 17, 2016 8:54 pm

Easy to clean and maintain sounds like you want it outside of your fermentor. What about making a jacket? Glue tubing to poly sheets so that it makes a snug cylinder around your fermentor. Outside that you could make another layer of insulation so that the ambient air doesn't steal the cold out of your tuning. The cooling jacket from these guys could be inspiration
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would use big tubing like 1 inch and I would look for really flexible tubing. Like the kind that lays flat when it is empty. That way I could zig zag back and forth across the jacket and wouldn't have to wrap around and around the whole fermentor in a straight line.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Celiacbrew » Tue May 17, 2016 8:55 pm

Easy to clean and maintain sounds like you want it outside of your fermentor. What about making a jacket? Glue tubing to poly sheets so that it makes a snug cylinder around your fermentor. Outside that you could make another layer of insulation so that the ambient air doesn't steal the cold out of your tuning. The cooling jacket from these guys could be inspiration
http://www.gotta-brew.com/products/cool ... acket.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I would use big tubing like 1 inch and I would look for really flexible tubing. Like the kind that lays flat when it is empty. That way I could zig zag back and forth across the jacket and wouldn't have to wrap around and around the whole fermentor in a straight line.
_____________________________________________________________________________________

Mike E.

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue May 17, 2016 8:56 pm

ivorm wrote:How does the pepsi cooling unit work?
Cooling coil that submerses into a container of liquid. It would cool the liquid and I'd use a pump to recirculate the cooled water.
20160504_202154.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Tue May 17, 2016 9:53 pm

Keith wrote:
ivorm wrote:How does the pepsi cooling unit work?
Cooling coil that submerses into a container of liquid. It would cool the liquid and I'd use a pump to recirculate the cooled water.
20160504_202154.jpg
I see. So you'd be doing something similar to this:

http://byo.com/mead/item/1877-build-you ... -fermenter

It's be nice to do something on the outside like Mike suggested so you didn't have to clean it. Or like you said do a HERMS coil attached to the cover, might be cheaper to buy a jacket though.

http://www.homebrewtalk.com/showthread.php?t=333151

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Tue May 17, 2016 10:40 pm

I am assuming 300 gpm was a typo? ☺

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue May 17, 2016 10:47 pm

Celiacbrew wrote:Easy to clean and maintain sounds like you want it outside of your fermentor. What about making a jacket? Glue tubing to poly sheets so that it makes a snug cylinder around your fermentor. Outside that you could make another layer of insulation so that the ambient air doesn't steal the cold out of your tuning. The cooling jacket from these guys could be inspiration

Yea I was thinking of something along this lines at one point. The plastic is fairly thick, wondering if it would have enough power to chill it.

However, I'd want to do something like this (easy to clean)

Drill 2 holes through the lid and install a set of connectors. Attach a tight wound stainless coil to the lid, then fill the unit part way with water and fasten to the lid.
Chill the entire unit. Very easy to clean and maintain. I'd just need something longer and I'd need to try and find a means to locate a tight wound coil to insert.

http://www.everwoodavebrewshop.com/prod ... g07002.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Keith
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6

Post by Keith » Tue May 17, 2016 10:49 pm

jason.loxton wrote:I am assuming 300 gpm was a typo? ☺
GPH!!! lol

Celiacbrew
Verified User
Verified User

Post by Celiacbrew » Wed May 18, 2016 1:31 pm

Keith wrote:
Yea I was thinking of something along this lines at one point. The plastic is fairly thick, wondering if it would have enough power to chill it.
this has got me curious now. I think I want to calculate how much a cooling jacket could cool. How thick is the plastic in your fermentor?

***EDIT so with 10c temperature differential and assuming your vessel is a sphere and not its actual shape, you could move 254.1 watts across the wall of your fermentor. I looked up some peak heat output estimates for fermentations and the highest I found was .57W/L so at 113l that is 65 watts. So assuming your fermentor wall is not thicker than 2cm and assuming you could make a 10C temperature difference around the whole of the vessel, you could remove all of the heat produced by the fermentation. I'm not sure how to do the calculation for how much energy would come out of the tubing and into the surrounding space/wall of the fermentor.

Mike E.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Wed May 18, 2016 3:53 pm

The real problem comes when you want the beer to be cooler than the room.

jason.loxton
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Loxton

Post by jason.loxton » Thu May 19, 2016 4:52 pm

Wouldn't it be easier to just stick it in an temp controlled fridge or upright freezer?

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User

Post by ivorm » Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:52 am

Seems like this route would be easier if it would fit on top of your wooden brew stand. it might fit on top if you have enough ceiling height.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-refrigerator-fri ... nFlag=true

Highland Brewer
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Drew

Post by Highland Brewer » Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:09 pm

I have three 60L Speidel fermenters that each have a 25'x3/8" custom coils from StainlessBrewing.com. They are 6" diameter and have spacing between coils for cleaning. Each coil is installed to the lid with 3/8" x 1/2"NPT bulkheads. Each fermenter is wrapped with Fermwrap and two layers of Reflectix. Each fermenter has its own pond pump in my DIY glycol bath for chilling. I use valved hydraulic couplers on each lid and hose to minimize leaks when not in service. Right now I use individual stc-1000 controllers for each circuit.

MitchK
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Mitchell Kehoe

Post by MitchK » Sun Apr 02, 2017 2:51 am

This one is 3x larger than you need but if you could find a smaller version it might be nice for cleaning

https://morewinepro.com/products/weldle ... in-24.html

It takes the opposite approach to the coil where rather than having to be loose enough to let you clean in between the loops it's basically a solid plate without any "in between" to worry about.

sleepyjamie
Award Winner 5
Award Winner 5
Name: jamie

Post by sleepyjamie » Sun Apr 02, 2017 12:31 pm

Highland Brewer wrote:
Mon Feb 13, 2017 5:09 pm
I have three 60L Speidel fermenters that each have a 25'x3/8" custom coils from StainlessBrewing.com. They are 6" diameter and have spacing between coils for cleaning. Each coil is installed to the lid with 3/8" x 1/2"NPT bulkheads. Each fermenter is wrapped with Fermwrap and two layers of Reflectix. Each fermenter has its own pond pump in my DIY glycol bath for chilling. I use valved hydraulic couplers on each lid and hose to minimize leaks when not in service. Right now I use individual stc-1000 controllers for each circuit.
Can you post some pics?
On Tap:
Falconers Galaxy IPA
Simcoe SMaSH
Topaz SMaSH
Cranberry Rye Saison
Monde Souterrain (Dark Saison)

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”