Diy whirlpool

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
CH brew man
Name: Ken Byron

Diy whirlpool

Post by CH brew man » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:18 pm

I was not happy with the results I was getting from my hop spider and wanted to be able to add the hops right into the pot. I saw some whirlpools online but didn't want to attach anything else to my pot. Looked online and came up with this design, I haven't used it yet but expect it to work well. Picked up all the hardware with the exception of the clamp from Everwood. Hope it helps someone, here are some pics.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

CH brew man

Re: Diy whirlpool

Post by CH brew man » Thu Nov 10, 2016 12:02 pm

Going to try an run a test run this weekend. Can anyone suggest the sweet spot for height in the kettle?

LiverDance
Award Winner 6
Award Winner 6
Name: Brian

Post by LiverDance » Thu Nov 10, 2016 1:53 pm

Looks good. Try starting at half of your liquid volume and adjust from there till you get a nice whirlpool with no splashing :cheers:
"Twenty years ago — a time, by the way, that hops such as Simcoe and Citra were already being developed, but weren’t about to find immediate popularity — there wasn’t a brewer on earth who would have gone to the annual Hop Growers of American convention and said, “I’m going to have a beer that we make 4,000 barrels of, one time a year. It flies off the shelf at damn near $20 a six-pack, and you know what it smells like? It smells like your cat ate your weed and then pissed in the Christmas tree.” - Bell’s Brewery Director of Operations John Mallet on the scent of their popular Hopslam.

ivorm
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Ivor

Post by ivorm » Fri Nov 18, 2016 3:37 pm

Where did you get the clamp? I've been wanting to add a whirlpool port to my kettle but maybe this would be easier. The only downside I see is that I won't be able to put the cover on if I'm whirlpooling for an extended period of time.

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Fri Nov 18, 2016 9:02 pm

Right on, I like how you can adjust it. I made something similar from copper and through my kettle wall, can be found in my build thread. Mine's fixed height though.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

CH brew man

Post by CH brew man » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:52 am

The clamp is an ibeam clamp, most electrical wholesalers will have them. The system worked ok but the my clamp system is the weak link. I plan to upgrade to heavy duty stainless clamp.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”