Niagara Mist kits

Want to discuss wine & mead? This is the spot!
mbkehoe
Name: Mary-Beth Kehoe

Niagara Mist kits

Post by mbkehoe » Fri Jan 06, 2017 9:36 pm

Does anyone have experience with these kits? I'm a first-timer and the instructions say to siphon into a sterilized glass carboy in three of the sections. Does it have to be racked between two carboys twice? Is this an error in the instructions/is it necessary to rack more than the once from bucket to carboy?
I'm asking because I have two kits that I would like to make at the same time, but only have two carboys.
Thanks!

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Spears

Re: Niagara Mist kits

Post by spears104 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 am

It seems there are new instructions with the Niagara Mist kits because I am pretty sure they used to have the same instructions as the Winexpert Island Mist kits which only have one racking. They are recommedning that you rack off the yeast cake before stabilizing and clarifying. You could get away without the last racking if you are very careful when filtering not to disturb the yeast at the bottom. My experience is that you pretty much instantly plug your filter pads if you slip up and disturb the sediment.

It looks like you will actually need three carboys if you want to do two kits at once.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

spears104
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Jason Spears

Re: Niagara Mist kits

Post by spears104 » Sat Jan 07, 2017 12:21 am

It seems there are new instructions with the Niagara Mist kits because I am pretty sure they used to have the same instructions as the Winexpert Island Mist kits which only have one racking. They are recommedning that you rack off the yeast cake before stabilizing and clarifying. You could get away without the last racking if you are very careful when filtering not to disturb the yeast at the bottom. My experience is that you pretty much instantly plug your filter pads if you slip up and disturb the sediment.

It looks like you will actually need three carboys if you want to do two kits at once.
Primary -
Secondary -
Bottle Conditioning -
Bottled -
On tap:
On the horizon -

Return to “Wine & Mead Discussion”