My BIAB controller build

Talk about your equipment builds/modifications here
TallDan
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Daniel Cormier

My BIAB controller build

Post by TallDan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 11:24 am

I plan on starting 2.5 gallon batches on a electric BIAB system. I finished my controller and thought I should post some pictures. The front is a 3 way switch that controls the outlet plug (on/off/PID controlled for mashing). The green light is a power indicator. The bottom also has three way switch for the alarms. I got a two prong XLR connector for the temperature probe. This was my first attempt at this type of project so any kind of feedback or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

MacMan
Name: Andy

Re: My BIAB controller build

Post by MacMan » Fri Jan 20, 2017 5:06 pm

Very cool :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kegged 1: Best Case West Coast IPA
Kegged 2: Bestcase Honey Wheat IPA
Kegged 3: Bestcase Irish Red IPA
Fermenting: TBD

RyanC
Name: Ryan Coles

Post by RyanC » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:48 pm

What are you using for components? I'm looking to build something similar and am wondering what are my best options for getting the parts.

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TallDan » Wed Nov 01, 2017 12:44 pm

Hey RyanC,

Sorry for the late reply but alot of the electronic parts come from AliExpress.com ... They sell alot of cheap stuff direct from China (PID, LED indicator light, switches, ...)

wader98
Verified User
Verified User
Name: Wade

Post by wader98 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 4:03 pm

Hey Dan,
i know this is an old thread but i also just finished a control box for a 2.5 Gallon EBIAB.
Just wondering if you've played with the setting on the inkbird yet? Also wondering what size kettle your using and if your doing sparges or not.

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TallDan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

I started playing around with the PID about a week ago trying to familiarize myself with it.

I just have a 5 gallon kettle. From what I read that should be big enough for 2m5 gallon batches.

I don't plan on sparging (at least not to start). Might explore this option later on to see how it affects efficiency.

I have almost everything I need to do my first batch on this system so hopefully I'll get one done soon.

How about yourself. Have you been able to test your system? Have you brewed with it yet?

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

RubberToe
Award Winner 13
Award Winner 13
Name: Rob

Post by RubberToe » Mon Nov 06, 2017 8:31 pm

I like the way you mounted your heat sink through the enclosure. I might have to try that sometime.
Electric Brewery Build
On tap at RubberToe's:
Sometimes on a Sunday Belgian Dubbel, Oaked Old Ale, Ordinary Bitter

wader98
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wader98 » Mon Nov 06, 2017 9:26 pm

TallDan wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm
I started playing around with the PID about a week ago trying to familiarize myself with it.

I just have a 5 gallon kettle. From what I read that should be big enough for 2m5 gallon batches.

I don't plan on sparging (at least not to start). Might explore this option later on to see how it affects efficiency.

I have almost everything I need to do my first batch on this system so hopefully I'll get one done soon.

How about yourself. Have you been able to test your system? Have you brewed with it yet?

My set up isn't pretty but everything seems to work.
I also have a 5 Gallon kettle with a 1500 Watt Element and i use a 1200 Watt Induction element to help with the boil. I'm hoping it will be big enough to get 2.75 Gallons in the fermenter. I don't have a pump yet so i haven't been able give it a go.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TallDan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:38 pm

RubberToe wrote:I like the way you mounted your heat sink through the enclosure. I might have to try that sometime.
Thanks ... I got the idea from someone on YouTube. When everything is closed it looks neat and stays secured.

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TallDan » Mon Nov 06, 2017 10:45 pm

wader98 wrote:
TallDan wrote:
Mon Nov 06, 2017 5:29 pm

My set up isn't pretty but everything seems to work.
I also have a 5 Gallon kettle with a 1500 Watt Element and i use a 1200 Watt Induction element to help with the boil. I'm hoping it will be big enough to get 2.75 Gallons in the fermenter. I don't have a pump yet so i haven't been able give it a go.
Looks good. I saw a few control boxes made from tool boxes and ammo boxes. I like the idea of repurposing them for a brew controller.

tony72cutlass's'
Name: Tony

Post by tony72cutlass's' » Thu Nov 30, 2017 9:21 pm

Hey!

Awesome build, did you get the ink bird And SSR from amazon? Is it the Itc-106vh model? I hear it can be tricky to set in manual mode, let us know what you find out! What did you decide to use for a temp probe?

I just bought a bunch of switches from princsss auto and am scoping out different equipment on amazon.

-Tony

wader98
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wader98 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:01 am

Hey Tony, I went with the itc-106vh and ssr from amazon. I ordered a pt-100 sensor for the temp probe.

tony72cutlass's'

Post by tony72cutlass's' » Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:18 am

That's awesome, were you able to both mash and boil with it? I was reading online that you may have to play with the settings a bit to get a rolling boil.

Did you also get your PT-100 from amazon? Would you mind checking which seller you went with if you are happy with it?

wader98
Verified User
Verified User

Post by wader98 » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:22 pm

I haven't done a mash yet since I don't have my pump set up yet. I still use ,y mash tun for now. For the boil I use a 1500 watt element in the kettle with the help of a 1200 watt induction burner to ramp up the speeds and help with the boil. Because it's fairly new to me I just set the temp to 215F so the element would stay on for the full hour.
the PT100 I bought was shipped via China from rubyshop on amazon for 12.55$

tony72cutlass's'

Post by tony72cutlass's' » Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:31 pm

awesome, thanks!

TallDan
Verified User
Verified User

Post by TallDan » Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:20 pm

I have the Ink bird ITC-100VH. I did my first batch on it the other day and found it worked really good.
I was getting a few different temperature readings from various thermometers and the controller so I need to find out which one is acsualy calibrated.
For boil I have a switch that bypasses my pid and runs my element directly. I found this gave me a good boil for 2.5 gallon batches. I got right around .75 gallon / hour boil off rate.

For probe I have a k type probe that I bought from AliExpress for about 4$. I also have a thermowell in my kettle. Like I mentioned I still need to find out about calibrating it and also need to better even out the temperature during mash.

Return to “DIY - Do It Yourself”